Stop expiration/deletion of backups

roi666

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a SP Server 8.1.6 on RHEL7 with TSAMP.

I needed to consult how to proceed to stop the expiration cycle of the protected data.

I have set the EXPINTERVAL to 0, since I execute the expirations via schedule. I stopped these schedules.

Is there anything else to consider and avoid losing data?

Thanks in advance.

Roi666,

...TSAMP.

Not sure if we are talking about TSM B/A Client or TDP (Tivoli Data Protection that was formerly known as ADSM Connect Agent.)

How long do we need to keep the backup?

...I stopped these schedules.

By stopping the schedule we only stop new data from being backed up.

On the TSP Server, within the copy group we have the following -

VDE, and VDD <- Deals in quantity. By stopping the schedule backup, we are not going to reach the quantity limit.

REV and ROV <- Deals in time. Time marches on, once an inactive version reach its time limit, the file will be marked for expiration.

From the manual EXPINTERVAL

Inventory expiration removes client backup and archive file copies from the server as specified by the management classes to which the client files are bound. If expiration is not run periodically, storage pool space is not reclaimed from expired client files, and the server requires more storage space than required by policy.

With EXPINTERVAL set to 0, the only thing that we stop are the data marked for expiration to be purged from the database. The database will will grow. As time marches on, data will still be marked for expiration as per the copy group setting in the mgmtclass.

To keep a client data from expiring.
Need to update the backup copy group, the VDE, VDD, REV and ROV to NoLimit.
NOTE: If there are more than just 1 client that is using the same copy group, and data are not being expire. There is going to be an increase in storage space usage.

Simple solution:
Create a new domain where the backup copy group for VDE, VDD, REV and ROV are set to NoLimit.
Then move that one node into the new domain.

Another solution, but involves more work.
On the TSM Server, define a new mgmtclass where the backup copy group, the VDE, VDD, REV and ROV are NoLimit.
On the TSM Client, bind the data to the new mgmtclass.

Good Luck.
Sias

Thank you very much for the information, Sias!

First of all, excuse my English and clarify what I said before:

TSAMP is a clustering tool from IBM, I have IBM Spectrum Server 8.1 mounted there.

We are in a disaster recovery scenario, my question was the one you answered when you explained to me about copygroups.

We have more than 1800 clients between MSSQL, Sharepoint, Oracle, VMware, BA.

Make the decision to stop administrative schedules running expiration (for now) and set all backup copygroups to NOLIMIT.

Thank you very much for your time and for clarifying the situation for me.

We keep restoring 24x7 around here :)

Thanks!
Roi

Roi,

Thanks for the update.

Keep in mind that you can only update the inactive policy set and then push the new changes to the active policy set via the activate policyset.

We have more than 1800 clients between MSSQL, Sharepoint, Oracle, VMware, BA.

I do not know if all the 1800 clients are in the same domain and/or if we need to keep the data for ALL of the clients.

If its ALL the clients, I just hope that your not keeping the "NoLimit" for a long time.
Once the retentions are set back to normal, the expire inv will run for some time.

Good Luck,
Sias

First of all, thank you very much for clarifying, Sias!

We are returning to normal thanks to our blessed TSM.

Thanks also to this important and beautiful community that was generated.

Greetings!
Roi.

Back