Stg Diskpool on San

mricca

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
General question - Out TSM stg Diskpool is 1.8TB currently. We average over 2.1TB's a night.
Just curious on how big other diskpools are out there, and at what point do you consider adding an additional TSM server.

Thanks

The deciding factors for the TSM server to split into multiple servers is not the disk storage pool size or how much data you are storing in the disk storage pool every night, but rather the size of the TSM database, the performance of different TSAM processes like expiration, Space reclaimation, copy stg etc., plus are you able to compelete your client backups with in the window that you have.

I agree, if anything you should be looking at adding more storage to your disk pool not adding to your current configuration, unless of course as mentioned you are not finishing backups in your backup window, or cannot complete your administrative tasks prior to your next backup window.

Well, I am trying to add more san diskspace. Maybe I didnt ask the question right. Guess I was just curious how big other peoples diskpools are. We barely make it the night without migrations kicking in. This does not of course include our backups that files are so big they go directly to tape. So for budgeting I am trying to get San disk space approved. Guess I just wanted to know how big other diskpools are out there. Our database and log file are fine right now. But continue to grow and grow and need more space.

We have serveral different TSM environments and our primary disk pools range from 1tb up to 8tb.

Trying to determine how much space you need should be based on clients, retention, etc.

A good rule of thumb is to be able to accomodate 2 days worth of backups on disk if possible. At least thats what we tried to set up.

Consider server thoughput and cost

You will want to add another server once you have run out of bandwidth to move and copy the data. There is only limited number of HBAs and ethernet cards you can run effectively in a server. Some servers are better at scaling up but then the relative cost becomes a factor. So don't be afraid of adding TSM servers. It's important to plan ahead and say: look my TSM server has limits.

I would compare an overloaded TSM server to those overloaded mini vans you see once and a while on the highway. You know the ones with 3 roof racks, six bikes, etc. It may be making it down the road but it isn't very safe to drive, especially if something falls off or it tips over... http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Workshop/OL-Minivan.jpg

Ken

Last edited:
Back