Some information ...

nsavva

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help for the following:

1. Is TSM capable to perform System Backup on AIX box?

2. Is TSM capable to perform Volume Group Backup?

3. Is TSM capable to perform File System Backup?

Thanks

TSm itself will not perform a mksysb (or sysback) or a savevg. It WILL backup all files on a system, so as long as you can boot and run the client, you can restore the system. I have ~90 AIX servers and perform a mksysb on each one weekly. I have a NIM server to push them back out if needed. It works very well. I don't have a requirement to do a seperate savevg, so that's not in my plan.

-Aaron

Aaron,

how do you do a mksysb backup??? using nim??? So, you just do a full backup of all your systems and then reinstall the client using the nim image and then use the TSM to restore a system???

I have a 60GB filesystem on the TSM server that I NFS mount to all the AIX client servers. On a once-a-week rotation (about 15 servers per day) I mount the NFS filesystem and run this command "mksysb -X -i /mnt/bos.obj.$HOSTNAME" I then do an archive-delete once per day to write those mksysb images to tape and remove them from the OS (I use a mgtclass that keeps the data for 60 days).

If (and I've only used this twice since putting it in place 2 years ago) I need to restore an OS, I restore the mksysb image to my NIM server (change the nodename in the dsm.sys) I then use NIM to push out the mksysb.

Since I keep all application data on other-then-rootvg disks, all I have to do is import the other VGs via "importvg -y {vgname} {hdisk}" and all the other data is back.

If you have more detailed questions, please feel free to drop me an email. [email protected]

Back