Solaris unix TSM install question

Bartacus

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can you install the TSM client on the Solaris unix platform without being root? Our unix admins want me to do as little with root as possible, so they've created a unix role for TSM functions. Assuming this role has write access to the /opt directory, can I install the TSM client with the role instead of as root?

Bart

No - you can ask them to give you Sudo privileges for the pkgadd command of the particular package name. Otherwise, have them sit next to you and perform the task.

Our UNIX Admins here are the same way, I have struggled on countless occasions, and I still cannot install TSM stuff on my own - so I make them do it.

Good luck

Steve

Bart,

You might also remind the Unix Crue that you will probably want to run the backups as root. If a recovery is required, only root or the owner of a file being recovered may do the recovery. When they protest about protecting their sensitive data, remind them that you can recover everything to a different box (using virtual node) that you do have root access on and then sift through their secret files.

It boils down to a matter of trust and responsibility.

Cheers,

Neil

Actually, we have that part sorted out. Its just that in our shop, the TSM duites are more scattered than most. I'm the main TSM guy, but my group doesn't install ANY clients (as nuts as that sounds). We administer everything, troubleshooting server AND client problems, but our OS groups are responsible for the actual installation of clients and our Z/OS server. The Unix role that our Unix group set up allows me to run DSMC and DSMCAD as root. This way, I can still do backups/restores since the role actually launches those 2 executables as root. Its quite slick, and allows me to do anything I need without needing root.

Now they've asked me to find out if we need to be root to install the clients. This is because they don't want to give out root to the people who need to install the client (not me, but other people in their own section). They're just trying to restrict root access, which is understandable. Since I'm the TSM donkey, I have to find the answers for them, even though I know nothing of Unix from an admin perspective. Gotta love government work. :grin:

Thanks for the input folks!

Bart

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Bart,

You might also remind the Unix Crue that you will probably want to run the backups as root. If a recovery is required, only root or the owner of a file being recovered may do the recovery. When they protest about protecting their sensitive data, remind them that you can recover everything to a different box (using virtual node) that you do have root access on and then sift through their secret files.

It boils down to a matter of trust and responsibility.

Cheers,

Neil</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back