shrdynamic - what am i missing?

tenpin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
nocoast-tech.blogspot.com
I have a linux application server with a requirement to backup all files including open files, I created a management class for this called 'SHRDYNAMIC' and included a directory in the dsm.sys on the server in question, running dsmc and backing up a changing file in the included directory continues to skip the file - what am I missing?

management class:
tsm: someserver>q copyg prod-fs active shrdynamic standard f=d

Policy Domain Name: PROD-FS
Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
Mgmt Class Name: SHRDYNAMIC
Copy Group Name: STANDARD
Copy Group Type: Backup
Versions Data Exists: No Limit
Versions Data Deleted: No Limit
Retain Extra Versions: 365
Retain Only Version: 365
Copy Mode: Modified
Copy Serialization: Shared Dynamic
Copy Frequency: 0
Copy Destination: DISKPOOL1
Table of Contents (TOC) Destination:
Last Update by (administrator): $$CONFIG_MANAGER$$
Last Update Date/Time: 10/02/2008 13:48:43
Managing profile: STANDARD
Changes Pending: No

contents of dsm.sys:
SErvername someserver
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1600
TCPServeraddress someserver
nodename somenode
schedmode prompted
passwordaccess generate
managedservices schedule webclient
webports 16082 16083
errorlogname /var/log/dsmerror.log
schedlogname /var/log/dsmsched.log
errorlogretention 35 D
schedlogretention 35 D
include /app01/app/applmgr/* shrdynamic

tsm> q inclexcl
*** FILE INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ***
Mode Function Pattern (match from top down) Source File
---- --------- ------------------------------ -----------------
No exclude filespace statements defined.
Excl Directory /var/spool/mqueue*/* Server
Excl Directory /.../.TsmCacheDir TSM
Include All /db09/.../*.dbf Server
Exclude All /.../*.dbf Server
Exclude All /.../dsmerror.log Server
Exclude All /.../dsmsched.log Server
Exclude All /tmp/.../* Server
Exclude All /proc/.../* Server
Exclude All /.../core.* Server
Exclude All /.../core Server
Include All /app01/app/applmgr/* /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys
No DFS include/exclude statements defined.
tsm> q mgmt
Domain Name : PROD-FS
Activated Policy Set Name : STANDARD
Activation date/time : 10/09/2008 13:24:04
Default Mgmt Class Name : STANDARD
Grace Period Backup Retn. : 30 day(s)
Grace Period Archive Retn.: 365 day(s)

MgmtClass Name : SHRDYNAMIC
Description : backup files, even if they are open

MgmtClass Name : STANDARD
Description : Standard management class

MgmtClass Name : WINDIRS
Description : Production Directories
tsm> i /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log

Incremental backup of volume '/app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log'
Normal File--> 345,202,233 /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log Changed
Retry # 1 Normal File--> 345,205,941 /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log Changed
Retry # 2 Normal File--> 345,211,962 /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log Changed
Retry # 3 Normal File--> 345,219,378 /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log Changed
Retry # 4 Normal File--> 345,228,891 /app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log Changed
ANS1228E Sending of object '/app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log' failed
ANS4037E Object '/app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log' changed during processing. Object skipped.
ANS1802E Incremental backup of '/app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log' finished with 1 failure

Last edited:
There you are telling the tsm server to send every file to that mgmt. Not the Directorys inside it.
Take a look here:
ANS4037E Object '/app01/app/applmgr/opebsncomn/admin/log/OPEBSN_pruase06/Events9.log' changed during processing. Object skipped.

The file is a couple of directories inside the one you indicate. If you want to send that directory and all the directories inside it, this should be in your dsm.sys:
include /app01/app/applmgr/.../* shrdynamic
The last statement tells to take every directory inside the parent directory. The first just tell to take files inside it.
Hope this solves your problem.

That was it! i figured it was something simple, the docs I was reading listed only examples ending with a star and I should have taken the inclexcl rules into consideration.

Something somewhat related, but I need to disable backups on open files on thousands of nodes...what is the most effective way to do this...is there a way other than going into each node's opt file?

and yes, I clearly am a n00b!!!!!11111one!!!111

Something somewhat related, but I need to disable backups on open files on thousands of nodes...what is the most effective way to do this...is there a way other than going into each node's opt file?

Absolutely. Define a client optionset on the tsm server, then assign each node to that optionset. See "help def clopt" and "help upd node".

include /app01/app/applmgr/.../* shrdynamic
The last statement tells to take every directory inside the parent directory. The first just tell to take files inside it.
Hope this solves your problem.

ps. You only need to do the 2nd of the 2 includes above. "..." means "0 or more directories", which makes the first line unnecessary.

Back