Sharing a Library betwen multiply TSM servers

Murkin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I have an installed TSM server connected to a library which works fine.

I have installed an additional server an connected it to the library (all done via SAN), and the server sees the library scsi addresses.

Now the problem is, that according to the documentation I have, I need to make define a library of the type SHARED on my second server and later define the drives and paths.

The problem is that once I define the library I cannot define drives getting a message saing: "Cannot define drives for a library of type SHARED"

Any ideas ?

yes, i believed you are following the manual to do library sharing between library manger and library client. There is something wrong in this part in the documentation.

I guess you are trying to define drive in library client right?

To me the aritecture changes from v4 to v5, so try to define path in library manger for your library client, instead of defining drive in library client. And you will see what i mean.

I setup a shared library recently and found out (from Tivoli support) that the documentation has not kept pace with the updates to the TSM server. So I posted in the hardware area a description on how to setup a shared library. Here it is again:

After trial and error and working with support on this issue I was able to setup a shared library in TSM 5.1.5. It seems that Tivoli has changed the procedure with each incremental update and the documentation has not kept pace. So I thought I would describe how you setup a shared library in the current 5.1.5 server release.

Let's use servers LIB_MAN and LIB_CLI as our example servers. LIB_MAN will be the library manager and LIB_CLI will be the library client.

1. Define the Library, drives, paths, and device class for the 3584 on LIB_MAN. Our library is an LTO 3584. In TSM we define an AUTOMATED library with the SHARED option set to YES.

2. Define the two servers to each other to allow for enterprise administration (Make it easy on yourself and make sure crossdefine is turned on).

3. On LIB_CLI define a SHARED library with LIB_MAN as the Primary Library Manager.

4. On LIB_CLI define a LTO device class that points to the newly defined SHARED library (which in turn points to LIB_MAN).

5. On LIB_MAN Define Library and Drive Paths for the server LIB_CLI. When defining the Path make sure you use the defined Servername for LIB_CLI for the SOURCE_NAME field with a SOURCE_TYPE of SERVER. (Note: MAKE SURE TO CREATE PATHS FOR EACH DRIVE FOR LIB_CLI Tivoli stated that problems occur if you do not define paths for all drives to the library client server).

You have completed the steps to setting up a shared library within TSM 5.1.5. It's actually pretty easy to setup and get working when you have the right documentation

Chad Small

TSM Certified Consultant

IBM Global Services

[email protected]

:)

Since u r using SAN in ur environment u might wanna take advantage of it as well. If u r using a 3584 (some other libraries can do this as well) then u can partition the library (logical partitioning) and so you tsm servers will now see 2 smc devices instead of one. Point ur tsm servers to a separate device and from that point and on u'll have both of ur tsm servers use their "own" library instead of sharing. Now, of course there are disadvantages to this too. Since u'll be using the same physical library for both tsm servers u now have to be careful and make sure that tapes don't get lost between the servers. you might wanna use a different naming convention for the tapes and also make sure that u don't mistakingly check in the other server's tapes into a server. The advantage, of course, is that with this there's no one point of failure. For example, if in shared library environment ur tsm server that manages the library goes down for some reason then u basically lose the library along with it...

Back