setup separate backup network

BC@SHS

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
our current setup is everything going over the LAN to the TSM server. we now have separate switches and extra NICs so I am looking for info on setting up a separate backup network. since I can't do them all at once, I will actually need 2, the current and the new to both work together as I slowly migrate them over. where do I start?
Thanks,
BC

Get your backup network configured - update TSM server with new IP address of this new dedicated network - then transition clients over to new IP scheme.

Use as many connections as you like. Like sgabriel62 says I would setup the TSM server and transition those that have the secondary nic over to it. It's quite simple really.

so, is this correct?

right now i have 200+ clients on 10.21.x.x subnet and tsm server on same. this is the production network as well and traffic gets sloooowww when backup window starts each night

i add a nic to a client, config nic to 10.37.x.x, add a nic to tsm server and config to 10.37.x.x, in between sits its own switch

now the only thing i have to do is change the first client dsm.opt from TCPSERVERADDRESS 10.21.x.x to TCPSERVERADDRESS 10.37.x.x and it'll just go on the new network, the rest of the clients will continue to use the old and they'll live happy until i get them all configured over? finally, once they are all configured, i can remove the old 10.21.x.x from the tsm server and my traffic will be separated

is there any configuration i have to do on the TSM server itself?

thanks in advance,
BC

i run q status and see...

server name: shstsm
server host name or IP address: 10.21.x.x
server tcp/ip port number: 1500

so if i "set serverhladdress 10.37.x.x" will that create an additional or will that just overwrite what's already there?

sorry... i can't find anything in the admin ref or admin guide that talks about 2 ip's

thanks
BC

Set the server host name with the "server name" instead of the IP address. Be sure that your internal DNS can resolve the server name by either IP address

Back