Setting up VTLs?

LanSchroeder

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to locate some IBM documentation or some guides on creating a VTL with no luck. All i'm trying to do is put my 2 TB mini-SAN to use with some testing just to see how it functions and how well it will work. I would like to use it as a general storage for vaulting TSM database backups and maybe keeping some node data offsite as well.

Does anyone know anything out there that would help me out?

Thanks!

After defining the virtual tape drives and the virtual tape library in your OS, TSM will use it like a real tape library. No difference in TSM between a real physical tape library and a VTL.

Edit : but you will need a VTL software to do it, of course ;-)

Since you said "No difference in TSM between a real physical tape library and a VTL." does that mean the restore and backup time are approximately the same?

Disk vs LTO

I think they more are referring to the difference in how TSM sees the library. The performance can be based on a number of things, including disk speed and type, connection type, RAID configuration, etc. These variables are important if you want to set up the proper VTL.

Rod

Since you said "No difference in TSM between a real physical tape library and a VTL." does that mean the restore and backup time are approximately the same?

No, a VTL have a better performance.

Back