Scratch Volumes changing to Private for no reason

ivandem

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sentia.ca
As the title states, I am having an issue with the Scratch, blank volumes in my library changing status from Scratch to Private for no apparent reason. They aren't being used by anything, they are still blank. I can alter the status back to blank but when something like the DB backup runs, it checks all of the scratches and sets them all to private (doesn't use them) and continues using the same tapes it always has.

Does anybody have a clue what is going on hear? My experience with tape array's is, unfortunately, limited.

Thanx in advance,

John :grin:

I recall this problem, and Andy is correct. TSM must label the volumes for it to work. What I mean by that is, when you add a scratch tape to the library you can do it one of two ways. Using just the barcode label or use the barcode and then letting the library write a header and footer on the tape. The second method is recommended because sometimes the library will lose a home element number and miss appropreate a tape. This is more likely to occur if you have a third party admin tool like TSMManager with vaulting on. Anyway, from a command line type the following command:

label libvol lto search=b labelsource=b checkin=scr overwrite=y

Replace the "lto" with your library name

Good luck

Back