Scheduling suggestions

dcskinner

Newcomer
Reaction score
We are in the process of upgrading TSM4VE to 6.4 (from 6.3) and switching to IF schedules. Planning to do IFFull once Quarterly for our Test VM's. Our existing schedules are doing regular Fulls on 6.3 once monthly based on ESX host and involves multiple dsmcad services on each of our 3 datamovers. Basically, one dsmcad/optfile per ESX host. I end up with about 4-5 dsmcad services per datamover and 70 scheds on the TSM server to make that work.

Along with TSM4VE upgrade, we have a host refresh incoming with fewer and much larger ESX hosts and backing up Fulls based on hosts will not be an option since we won't be able to ingest that much data in the backup window. So, we will be switching to backing up by Datastore. Also, the maxparallel option allows us to reduce the number of datamovers. Using the same methodology with the dsmcad service would be a nightmare since we have approx 70 datastores and we would need one service/optfile per. So, we are looking to move the complexity (which VM's to include) into the schedules on the TSM server and just have 2 dsmcad (IFFull and IFIncr). The IFFull schedule is easy (1 datastore), but IFIncr for the same night has to list the other 69 datastores since you can only exclude by specific VM name, not datastore. I am looking at 140+ schedules in Test alone. If I can't reduce the number of scheds, it would be nice to not push the 512 char limit on the Options parameter of all my IFIncr scheds. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Dennis

Back