Scheduled backups; lag time between nodes

rwhtmv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am new to TSM, but I have some working knowledge of it. I have 6 nodes that backup nightly to TSM (2 NW6 and 4 Win2k boxes). Why does it take 10-15 minutes for the backup to commence in the schedule? ALSO, what is the reason for the lag time between nodes? When one finishes, why wouldn't another kick off almost immediately.

Last night it took 9 minutes before it started the next node.

Is there something in the options I can change, or do I just need some enlightenment?

Thanks in advance.... :)

The key here is 2 small settings. 1) the backup window. If the window is 1 hour, it will start the clients "sometime" within that window based on..... 2) randomization setting. The randomization setting sets how much of the window is used to start clients.

If the window is 1 hour and the random setting is set ot 50% then the clients will start "sometime" within the first 30 minutes. If the window is 4 hours and the random setting is set to 25%, the clients will start "sometime" within the first hour.

I keep saying "sometime" because it doesn't start the clients sequentially. If you have 200 clients and a window of 1 hour and 25% random, it will start multiple clients within the same minute because it has to start ALL 200 clients within the first 15 minutes.

Trial and error is about the only way to get the TSM scheduler to start the clients just as you want them started.

-Aaron

Thanks for your help. I am not sure where I find out about my randomization setting. I looked in the client schedule, and in the dsmserv.opt file.

As to the "backup window" you refer to, do you mean the duration and duration units listed in the scheduler? I changed that from 1 hour to 30 minutes. Thanks for your help.

Rod

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The key here is 2 small settings. 1) the backup window. If the window is 1 hour, it will start the clients "sometime" within that window based on..... 2) randomization setting. The randomization setting sets how much of the window is used to start clients.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>[email protected]

You can view the randomization setting by giving the command 'q status' and then the update with "set randomize (number from 1 to 50)" By default it's set to 25 which means use the first 25% of the duration to start all the clients at random.

The window is set when you define the schedule. The 'duration' is the startup window. It can be updated by updating the schedule.

-Aaron

Back