Schedule problem between Full and log Backup

Buddsn

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,
i have an short question. I had the Problem that the MSSQL Log Backup is running into the Daily Full backup. For Example the Full Backup takes 4 Hours. But the log Backup should run every 1 Hour. So i get every morning a lot of missed schedules. Is there an option to Exclude the log backup during the full backup ?
Here are some informations wich should be helpfull
1 node
2 Clientschedules on the TSM Server
log Backup:

Policy Domain Name: xxx
Schedule Name: xxx
Description:
Action: Command
Subaction:
Options:
Objects: ""XXX""
Priority: 5
Start Date/Time: 05/26/2010 16:30:00
Duration: 30 Minute(s)
Schedule Style: Classic
Period: 1 Hour(s)
Day of Week: Any
Month:
Day of Month:
Week of Month:
Expiration:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 05/13/2011 07:30:20
Managing profile:

Full Backup:

Policy Domain Name: xxx
Schedule Name: xxx
Description:
Action: Command
Subaction:
Options:
Objects: xxx
Priority: 5
Start Date/Time: 01/23/2006 22:00:00
Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Schedule Style: Classic
Period: 1 Day(s)
Day of Week: Any
Month:
Day of Month:
Week of Month:
Expiration:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 05/13/2011 07:32:36
Managing profile:

1 Schedule Service on the Host System

Ore if you know another way please let me know.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards
Sebastian

You can choose either to speed up the FULL backup by increasing the number of stripes, or live with the missed backup messages. I live with the missed backup message which essentially is useless for me.

Or, you can script the schedule such that the node will check the presence of an on-going FULL backup and skip the LOG backup.

Hi,

If your sql server is of a newer kind, then you can run full backups as one process, and log backup as another. SQL allows full backup and log backup to be run in parallel.

Create two nodes for scheduling (sql_full and sql_log) and one node(server_mssql) to hold the data.. Create two windows processes, TSM SQL full and TSM SQL Log that uses sql_full and sql_log respectivly. Make dsm_full.opt and dsm_log.opt.

Make dsm.opt use server_mssql node.

It works for me backing up a huge sql server.

pd. In tdpsql.cfg put in sqlcompression yes, and in dsm.opt remove all compression. This will make your day easier.

Good morning,i think the way over 2 nodes and 2 processes is the best way. I will trie this an an test SQL Server. Thank you for the fast Response. have a nice day and after the day a nice Weekend. Best regards Sebastian

Back