Retention policy and RMAN backups

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I want to retain Oracle backups for 35 days and currently have my ORACLE copygroup setting set like this:

Versions Data Exists: 35
Versions Data Deleted: 0
Retain Extra Versions: 35
Retain Only Version: 0

Now I find out that my DBA's have statements in their RMAN crosscheck scripts to retain backups for 35 days:

configure retention policy to recovery window of 35 DAYS ;
crosscheck backup of database completed before 'sysdate-35' ;
crosscheck backup of controlfile completed before 'sysdate-35' ;
crosscheck backup of archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-35' ;

So, my question is...what the heck is the end result from this?

Also, what are others doing, both in your Copygroup settings and in your Crosscheck script?

Thanks

TDP for Oracle ignores parameters "verexists" and "retextra", so the retention is defined by the RMAN configuration. Although you do need "verdeleted" and "retonly" configured as 0, so TSM is able to immediately delete the backups marked as inactive by TDP/RMAN. I think the TDP for Oracle is kind of a plain API for RMAN. :)

It's an old version of the document but here they explain the configuration of those parameters: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/ITSMFD/SC32-9065-00/en_US/HTML/ab5w0007.htm

Hope it helps.

Hi,
retentions for Oracle are managed by RMAN. From the TSM point of view RMAN creates always unique files (backup pieces) - therefore the retention parameters have no use here (follow the guidelines in the link above).

Harry

Back