Restoring TSM Database from a backup on a NFS Mounted Directory.

tsmnovice

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have two Two AIX (v 5.3) Servers. Server A has TSM V5.5.1 running on it. Server B has no operating system on it.
My questions are as follows:
1) Will I be able to backup the TSM database ( 150 GB size) to the disk using FILE device class on Server A ?
Are there any size restrictions while backing up to the disk ?

2) If I restore Server A image on to the Server B, will I be able to NFS mount the backup directory from server A and restore that database on Server B using the appropriate devconfig etc ? (Server B does not have a Tape drive attached to it) This is for testing purposes only.
Thanks in advance for all of your useful answers !!

Hi

1) Yes you can backup the database to file devclass as long as the OS filesystem supports files that size. Make sure you set maxcapacity of the file devclass big enough

2)Yes that should work. I would probably copy the database file to local disk/filesystem if I had the disk space available but if not NFS should be ok although I've never tried it.

Cheers

Hi,
If I were not to use the NFS method, How do I copy the 150 GB backup file from Serve A to Server B ?
I do not have a tapedrive on Server B.

Thanks !!

Hi

try the restore from the nfs mounted directory first. It will probably work.
if not, NFS mount the remote filesystem then just copy the backup file to a local filesystem , or just ftp the backup file across.

This of course assumes you have enough local disk to hold the 150Gb. Is this AIX??

Hi,
Yes. It is AIX V5.3. May be I should copy the files from the NFS mount on Server B to a local file system
on Server B. I have never seen a disk copy of a TSM database backup before. Will it be a one big file (150 GB) or will it be several small files ?
Thanks !!

Hi,
Yes. It is AIX V5.3. May be I should copy the files from the NFS mount on Server B to a local file system
on Server B. I have never seen a disk copy of a TSM database backup before. Will it be a one big file (150 GB) or will it be several small files ?
Thanks !!

The file(s) will be as big as you set maxcapacity for the file devclass.. so I'd set it to 160Gb then you'd get just the one file..

Back