Restoring a Exchange 2000

lmchv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi, I need to restore a full backup of an Exchange2000, I want to restore it in a new server only for testing, I still have the original Exchange server running. This server needs to be isolated from my LAN and from my currently scheme of AD. I need to restore a backup of my AD in this server and establish a communication with my TSM server (I'm not sure). here comes the problem, my TSM server is a DC, if I communicate with it, it could screw up my entire domain. I have a link between this server and the TSM using a SAN, I'm not entirely sure if it's neccesary to have a link between this server and the TSM server, but thats the only way that I can think the server will retrieve the backup information.

what can I do?

thanks in advance

Perhaps a backup set could be restored locally by the "test" client?

If you don't have a common tape media attached for the restore, perhaps you could use a FILE device...create the backup set on disk, then transfer the object to the "test" client and read it in locally for the restore process.

...just a thought...

True, Exchange 2k does modify the schema of AD, howabout isolating and restoring into a "virtual server" such as VMWare whereby you can control the network elements? You can even download a trial for a few weeks usage just to feel comfortable with VMWare but I've used it to create multiple AD environments within my own AD environment.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi, I need to restore a full backup of an Exchange2000, I want to restore it in a new server only for testing, I still have the original Exchange server running. This server needs to be isolated from my LAN and from my currently scheme of AD. I need to restore a backup of my AD in this server and establish a communication with my TSM server (I'm not sure). here comes the problem, my TSM server is a DC, if I communicate with it, it could screw up my entire domain. I have a link between this server and the TSM using a SAN, I'm not entirely sure if it's neccesary to have a link between this server and the TSM server, but thats the only way that I can think the server will retrieve the backup information.

what can I do?

thanks in advance </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I've already done that, it's a sort of mixed environment using packet filtering, I have access to the TSM server using the port 1500, and full communication between the virtual machine and the physical server where the vmware resides, also this server is the one that I'm going to use to restore de Exchange.

The big problem is..., I can't restore the AD!!, I've been trying to for almost a week, it's very frustrating, anyone have restored a System State using TSM into a different computer?, I manage to restore it, but when it tries to boot it shows an error "Inaccesible Boot Device"

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>True, Exchange 2k does modify the schema of AD, howabout isolating and restoring into a "virtual server" such as VMWare whereby you can control the network elements? You can even download a trial for a few weeks usage just to feel comfortable with VMWare but I've used it to create multiple AD environments within my own AD environment.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back