Restore to different server name

AddyTSM1

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to restore in TSM to a different server name?
Example: I backed up a server named SQLserver01 and I want to restore the same data to another box named SQLserver02. I do not have the luxury of putting this in an isolated LAN.

Thanks

Stop TSM services on SQLserver01 and SQLserver02. Rename SQLserver02 (TSM node name on DSM.opt and not the server name!) to SQLserver01, and restart the TSM services.

TSM thinks that SQLserver02 is SQLserver01, and you should be able to restore to SQLserver02 using SQLserver01 data.

Last edited:
Does the TSM server make any other reference to another parameter (example IP addresses, MAC addresses or URL etc) except the node name in the dsm.opt file?

Once this name is changed in the dsm.opt file, would TSM be able to find this box?

TSM has a notion of client IP addresses by node. If a different IP address connects as a node, you see a message in the actlog updating the node IP address :]

So changing the nodename in dsm.opt should really be enough.

(The URL, HLA and LLA for a node are not used for client initiated sessions.)

Please prompt help!!! Lost all data on the Linux server ("LINSERVER_NAME"). Bad SCSI disk controller!!! Change "WINSERVER_NAME" on "LINSEVER_NAME" in dsm.opt file, bat no see local file on the "File Level"!!! On the TSM Windows server 5.3 i see it files (query filespace).

I be able restore files Windows TSP client_#1 from Windows TSP client_#2 (edit dsp.opt nodename)!!! Why it don't work restore files for Linux TSM client ??

HELP!!! What me do?

Last edited:
Hi,

cannot restore files from linux to windows and vice versa - by design. You have to use same platform
Sorry

Harry

Hi,

cannot restore files from linux to windows and vice versa - by design. You have to use same platform
Sorry

Harry

I test restore from other linux platform on the web interface, bat same result!!!(restore from CentOS5(TSM client 5.4) for crash system - RedHat AS 4.0(TSM client 5.3))

Or operation system must be equal?

Last edited:
Please prompt help!!! What me do? How restore data from LINSERVER ???

Last edited:
go to the known working client running Linux. Modify the dsm.opt and dsm.sys files so that it looks like the crashed client. You should now be able to restart the dsmcad process or use dsmj and restore data from the failed client.

If that doesn't work, please list any errors you get.

-Aaron

Hi,

if you use webgui then you are probably using "fromnode" option (behind the scene) - using this (restore other client's data) requires access privileges to be set. Workaround is (as Aaron already stated) is to modify the dsm.sys to behave as the original client OR use "virtualnodename" option (in both cases you need a password for the failed node)

Hope it helps

Harry

P.S. I have no problem restoring data from Debian on RedHat

[root@vm bin]# cat dsm.opt
SERVERNAME MAIN_SERVER1
virtualnodename crashserver
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL

[root@vm bin]# cat dsm.sys
SERVERNAME MAIN_SERVER1
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE
COMPRESSION YES
Exclude "/var"
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
nodename crashserver
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress 192.168.....

[root@vm bin]# cat dsmerror.log
08.10.2007 11:15:52 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server 'MAIN_SERVER1'.
Either the password is not stored locally, or it was changed at the server.
08.10.2007 11:15:52 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server 'MAIN_SERVER1'.
08.10.2007 11:15:52 ANS1025E Session rejected: Authentication failure
08.10.2007 11:15:52 ANS1570E Registering this instance of the Cad with the server failed. Cad process continues.
08.10.2007 11:16:52 ANS1036S Invalid option 'NODENAME' found in options file '/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys'
at line number : 6
Invalid entry : ' nodename crashserver '

08.10.2007 11:16:52 ANS1219E A virtual node name must not equal either a nodename or the system host name.
08.10.2007 11:16:52 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.

Why? What me do??? HELP !!!! All DATA LOST!!!

you can't specify both the nodename and virtualnodename to be the same name. Remove the nodename entry from the dsm.sys Do not use the CAD process but the full client (dsmj) Once you open the client, you'll need to use the "access another node" option (I'm not at a real client so I may be remembering that option wrong) You'll need to provide it with the password from the crashed server.

-Aaron

Change reverse original host name in dsm.sys. Don't start on the web iface!

[root@vm bin]# cat dsmerror.log
08.10.2007 19:07:31 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server 'MAIN_SERVER1'.
08.10.2007 19:07:31 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server 'MAIN_SERVER1'.
08.10.2007 19:07:31 ANS1025E Session rejected: Authentication failure
08.10.2007 19:07:31 ANS1570E Registering this instance of the Cad with the server failed. Cad process continues.

I change password on the MAIN_SERVER1 - same result. Don't work nothing!!! All data lost on the crash server and real host server don't work!

No comment...
What me do? ....
HELP!!!

If you have changed the node's password on the TSM server, then do this on the node (I assume that you have restarted the TSM services on the node, right?):

1. Enter dsmc
2. If it ask for a password, enter the new password
3. q sched - this should retuen a schedule and if it does, it now verifies that the node is communicating with the TSM server.
4. quit - to exit

Last edited:
I restore all data!!!!!!
thank all very much!!!!!

[root@vm bin]# cat dsm.opt
SERVERNAME MAIN

[root@vm bin]# cat dsm.sys
SERVERNAME MAIN
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE
COMPRESSION YES
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress 192.168....
nodename crashserver

[root@vm bin]# cat dsmwebcl.log
09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) Client Acceptor - Built Nov 28 2006 09:17:34
09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) Version 5, Release 4, Level 0.0
09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) Dsmcad is working in Webclient Schedule mode.

09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) ANS3000I HTTP communications available on port 1837.

09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) ANS3000I TCP/IP communications available on port 38115.
09.10.2007 11:28:01 (dsmcad) Command will be executed
in 1 minute.

Importance: dsmcad change port on 1837, therefore i don't web access. I remove API_64 !

Thank all !!

Last edited:
Back