restore from copypool?

rwhtmv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am one of those rebels that uses TSM with one LTO drive. (3580) (Hey...I bid for a tape library, but the boss shot it down due to budgeting.) Anyway, I currently backup around 10G nightly to a SAN and migrate it to tape the next afternoon which goes offsite. I also have a copypool (devclass file) on the SAN that I would migrate to a single tape as it fills up. I keep this one onsite and I want to use this to do restores during the day.

(in other words...) I make a daily data tape read/only and send it offsite and want to keep the copypool data on 1 tape in cumulative fashion onsite for quick restores.

How do I restore data from that copypool without it looking for a data tape that was created from the backup migration? Can I force TSM to restore from the copypool? IF this is an easy fix, remember some of us are rookies. Any tips, tools, or thoughts are appreciated.

:)

You need to update the primary volume to destroyed. This does not affect the data on the volume just updates the status. After the restore, you can update it back to readwrite or readonly.

So you say I need to update every single LTO tape volume to destroyed....since each day will have different files? If I need to restore a directory it will look for different volumes, depending upon the date of each file that changed within it, right?

I tried a restore and it did miss the primary volume due to its destroyed status, but it errored out and said files not available.

update vol "*" access=destroyed wherestgpool="{stgpool}"

Perform restore

update vol "*" access=readonly (or readwrite) wherestgpool="{stgpool}"

{stgpool} is the name of the primary stgpool. Not that hard to do.

Something you might want to consider.... 3 stgpools. DISKPOOL, LTO_TAPE and LTO_COPY Have clients backup to DISKPOOL, copy contents of DISKPOOL to LTO_COPY and send tapes from LTO_COPY offsite. Then migrate data from DISKPOOL to LTO_TAPE and put the tapes on the shelf making DISKPOOL empty for the next day and keeping data onsite.

Back