Restore from backupset

brsrylmz

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

I generate backupset regularly. I tested my backupset's with GUI. I have to know with command line this operation.

q backupset;
Node Name: FS1-CLUSTER
Backup Set Name: FSBSET_ABK628630L5.15576102
Data Type: File
Date/Time: 02/07/2015 02:28:40
Retention Period: No Limit
Device Class Name: TAPE
Description: 070215_FS1
Has Table of Contents (TOC)?: Yes

q backupsetcontent;
Node Filespace Client's Name for File
Name Name
------------- ---------- ------------------------------------------
FS1 \\fsc\d$ \Central\
FS1 \\fsc\d$ \Central\BTTEST\bttest.txt
FS1 \\fsc\d$ \Central\BTTEST\bttest2.txt
FS1 \\fsc\d$ \Central\BTTEST\bttest3.txt

restore backupset -backupsetname=FSBSET_628630L5.15576102 -loc=tape -subdir=yes \\fsc\d$\Central\BTTEST\bttest.txt \\fsc\e$\RESTORETEST\

restore backupset -backupsetname=FSBSET_628630L5.15576102 -loc=tape -subdir=yes \\fsc\d$\Central\BTTEST\*.txt \\fsc\e$\RESTORETEST\

ANS0993E The source specification "\\fsc\d$\Central\BTTEST\bttest.txt" has invalid format.

How can i do that, please give me a trick?

Regards,

Is your backupset still on the TSM Server or did you attach a tape drive to the client and brought the tape over? If the former, it should be "-loc=server", if the latter, the location is right, but the backupset name should be the name of the tape drive, not the backupsetname from the server. I have a feeling your backupset is on the TSM Server.

Second, put the filespace between {} for the source and the destination as a drive letter, unless it's a remote share: example:

Code:
restore backupset -backupsetname=FSBSET_628630L5.15576102 -loc=server -subdir=yes {\\fsc\d$}\Central\BTTEST\bttest.txt E:\RESTORETEST\

For more info on the syntax:
Code:
dsmc help restore backupset

Hello marclank,

Thsnks for your reply. The restore operation started like you said.

But there is a problem. Cartridges loaded tape library and i can see this tape q mou output on TSM Server. But this operation takes a couple of hours. If i try the same restore operation with TSM GUI software, session complete successfully in 3minutes. Is there any idea about this issue?

Regards,

The GUI uses the TOC, command line doesn't:
You can use the client command line interface to restore individual files from local backup sets and from backup sets without a TOC.
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_res_bkupsetcmdline.html

You can use the GUI to restore individual files from a backup set from the Tivoli® Storage Manager server with a TOC,
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/t_res_bkupsetgui.html

So if you want to restore the entire backupset, the command line works great. If you are looking for a small subset of files, use the GUI with the TOC.

So if you want to restore the entire backupset, the command line works great. If you are looking for a small subset of files, use the GUI with the TOC.

Thank you for your interest. But i want to try this operation on Linux Server and x window is not installed a lot of server. Individual file restore may be needed in some cases.

Thanks

Individual file restore will still work from the command line, it will just take longer because the media needs to be scanned to find the files.

If you are using client version 7.1.0 or 7.1.1, then chances are you ran into APAR IT01864
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IT01864
The GUI restore of the backup was not actually reading anything from the backupset tape !!!

The command line can restore using the TOC, just like the GUI can. But you should be aware that placing the TOC on disk will give much better responce time. TOC destination can be set from the DEFINE COPYGROUP command.
Restores from the GUI are much easier because you can browse and select the file you want
Bart

Back