Restore data from a client’s server that’s down (quickest way)

tsmhelum

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I would like to Restore data from the entire f: drive on downed server (Walters) to a directory on stafa22
It’s the entire f drive from Walters (which is down currently) needs to go to a directory on stafa22 that was created

Both are windows 2003 servers

Note the server Walters is/was being backed up on a different TSM SERVER then stafa22

In other works Walters is being backed up on TSM Server A
And stafa22 is being backed up on TSM Server B Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

thanks

Copy the DSM.opt from the server Walters on the server stafa22, and do the restore.

If you cannot get it the key points in the dsm.opt are the NODENAME, TCPCLIENTADDRESS and the TCPSERVERADDRESS.

Put the node you want to restore and the IP of the TSM server the data was backed up.

ad283m...thanks,I appreciate your help I will try this!

In other words make a copy of stafa22's dsm.opt and change the node name to Walters. Then run dsm.exe -optfile=<full path of opt file with Walters as node name> Then make sure when you do the restore you choose a place to restore the data too since the location it resided does not exist on the new server.

Chad..ok thanks

It also should work if I bring up the GUI using that information correct? Its should show the information of the down server and the stafa22's server? in which there apparently has been a directory created already.

Also, afterwards besides getting rid of the copied dsm.opt is there anything else I need to do? I want to make sure everything is back in place

Thanks again for your reply

hi tsmhelum

execute dsm.exe as chad said and make sure the port has opened for TSM server A & stafa22. confirm once node name, TSM servername & IP in (stafa22)dsm.opt which is pointing to TSM server A.

Thanks,
Sri

Back