Remove a broken tape from TSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

foobar2devnull

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a tape that was sent off-site using DRM. When DRM called it back, I found that it had been dropped and was unable to physically put it back into the library I/O.

Now I need to remove that tape from the DRM pool and eventually from the TSM tape cycle.

How can I do this?

I can't figure out how to put a tape in DRM back into TSM without physically adding it back into the library. Then I'd have to remove it from the TSM tape pool with "delete volume"?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, i think you can perform a delete volume. When it was on vault retrive mode it is empty either. When not on the next run of backup stg a the lost data on copy pool are written again.

Hi,

Thanks for your help but I don't quite understand what you mean.

The tape is indeed in a "vault retrieve" state

>q drmedia AA0062L5
AA0062L5 Vault retrieve 04/30/2012 09:55:03

>q vol AA0062L5
ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I can't query the volume if the tape is not out of the DRM and back into a pool.

Can anyone point me to the proper documentation?

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your help but I don't quite understand what you mean.

The tape is indeed in a "vault retrieve" state

>q drmedia AA0062L5
AA0062L5 Vault retrieve 04/30/2012 09:55:03

>q vol AA0062L5
ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that I can't query the volume if the tape is not out of the DRM and back into a pool.

Can anyone point me to the proper documentation?

Thanks.

When the tape is in Vault retrieve state, this means it is ready to go back as SCRATCH. You said the tape has been damaged, so you can toss it out and not to worry about any data loss.

Hi,

I realise that there is no data on the tape and that it can be binned. My problem is that

a) DRM keeps sending a mail to the people storing the tapes off-site asking them to bring back the tape. This is because I can't check it in so TSM keeps asking for it.
b) I need to let TSM know that the tape should not be used again and thus remove it from the pool.

I'm just in the dark on the steps I need to do to let TSM know that the tape is no longer to be used/referenced/expected.

Hi,

I realise that there is no data on the tape and that it can be binned. My problem is that

a) DRM keeps sending a mail to the people storing the tapes off-site asking them to bring back the tape. This is because I can't check it in so TSM keeps asking for it.
b) I need to let TSM know that the tape should not be used again and thus remove it from the pool.

I'm just in the dark on the steps I need to do to let TSM know that the tape is no longer to be used/referenced/expected.

Just issue an update from vaultretrive to onsiteretrive - 'move drm <volume_name> wherestate=vaultretrieve tostate=onsiteretrieve' - after this you won't get an alert anymore

When you get back the tape - toss it out

I get it. I just thought that TSM kept track of all tapes in the pool and that it would miss it but I see it now.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back