Remote Sites

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
As a TSM shop, and if you have a remote site that has a couple of file servers, what is your backup strategy?

As we move our data center, there are several servers that will not be moved. File servers, a couple of fax servers, print servers. Really not enough to warrant putting up an additonal TSM server and tape library here after the move.

What kind of things do you do or have you done for such situations?

I find for my remote sites bandwidth vs. the delta change in the amount of data backed up.

My remote sites, sales offices, for normal files (.doc, .xls, .ppt, etc) TSM does just fine due to the incremental for ever. In fact, I have not had a need to turn on compression from the client side.

The only issue that gives me grief are .pst files; they are too large and change daily.

For your environment, TSM with no special settings might be just fine, though compression may come in handy if your bandwidth becomes the bottle neck. If that is the case, you may want to have a specific client-side compression tapepool (a tapepool that does not compress at the drive level.)

We use DPM 2010 for our remote sites and seem to have little issues with the block level backups and some of our sites are on a 256 pipe. It is suppose to have the ability to only backup the changes in psts also but we haven't looked into that because we don't allow pst files in our company so we don't back them up. Worth a look and I was really sceptical at first but it is looking promising. We still use TSM at the bighouse and any site that is large enough to justify it.

First thing is, ask you if actually have to back everything up. Fax servers? Print servers? Burn a DVD for them and stick it in the vault!

look for fastback... Reading about it and it's interesting... now need more technical documentation than the sale brochures!

Back