reinstall AIX...what do I need to do with TSM server?

Kevin512K

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
AIX 5.1 migration to AIX 5.2 failed. So we are planning to do a fresh install of AIX on the same system. What do I need to do with TSM server since it is located on the same machine?

btw HSM is also enabled on this machine

TSM filesystem, TSM database, and TSM logs are under appsvg, so fresh install of the AIX should not effect any config files there. But I know some config files are stored under rootvg. (/etc/adsm, /etc/security/adsm). What about the TSM, HSM filesets?

Where should I start, what to backup (specially tsm config files under rootvg), what are the steps I should take for TSM and HSM, and what to restore, etc :confused: :confused:

Thanks.

Perform a full mksysb of the system so you have a fall back plan.

Backup anything in /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin (dsmserv.opt, devconfig, volhist, etc)

Map out your devices (drive0 is rmt5 is SN:10-1975A)

Make sure you have TSM install media.

Upgrade AIX.

Import VGs

Map out new devices (rmt3 is SN:10-1975A, etc)

Reinstall TSM from media and then patch to the correct level.

Restore config files in /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin

Startup server

Reconfig paths

-Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks.

Your plan looks right. What about HSM side?

I do know there are some config files that are stored under rootvg. Since this will be a fresh AIX install, so whatever config files in rootvg now will get wipe out.

My concern is I forget to backup some TSM/HSM config files under rootvg. So do you or anybody knows how many and what are the files stored under rootvg?

So far I know:

/etc/adsm (for HSM)

/etc/security/adsm (for TSM)

/etc/rc.adsmhsm (for HSM)

any others?

Kevin

Kevin,

The rc.adsmhsm should be added back when you reinstall the HSM software. I would make a full backup (tar file to another node) of /etc/adsm and /etc/security/adsm. The other config files should be in /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin and you can make a full backup of that directory as well.

If you miss something in the rootvg, you can always restore a file from the mksysb or just restore the entire mksysb and backup the missing files.(perform the mksysb to tape and to a filesystem somewhere on another server to make single file restores easy) I don't run HSM on AIX yet, so I'm not as familiar with it as I should be.

-Aaron

Aaron,

Thanks again for the tips. I will use sysback to backup rootvg, TSM filesystem and the tsm database filesystem. I'll test it out and hope everything work out fine at the end.

Kevin.

Back