Recover Damaged Volumes and Add a Copy Pool

nschafer

Newcomer
Reaction score
My situation:

I'm running TSM 5.3 on Linux (Redhat EL WS3). I use TSM to backup Medical Images. The Image server has a small drive and every day the images are moved from the image server into TSM volumes, then recalled as needed.

My TSM Volumes are stored on Disk, spread out through several RAID's (RAIDPOOL). and backed up to an LTO Library (LTOPool)

One of my RAID's had a hardware failure which resulted in several volumes being corrupted. I am still able to access the data via the LTO tapes, however I am trying to recover the damaged volumes. Not all of the volumes on the RAID were corrupted, so I am trying to copy those off of the RAID before I replace the hardware. I have purchased an additional RAID system to copy the data to. My plan is to copy the non-corrupted volumes from the damaged RAID to the new RAID then fix the damaged RAID, copy the volumes back to the orignial RAID and then restore the corrupted volumes from tape. I want to go back to the original RAID as it is higher end equipment then the new units and I prefer to keep the data on the fastest media I have available. I then want to use the new RAID's as a copy pool so that in the event of another failure we don't have to go to tape, and the tapes will only be used in the event of a simultaneous failure of two RAIDs.

My question are:

1. Does this sound like an appropriate plan? I'm not exactly a TSM admin. My vendor handles most of our TSM issues, but this is beyond their service contract.

2. If this is appropriate, how do I go about doing this? The move data command does not appear to allow you to choose a destination volume, so when I move a volume it would appear that I have no control over where the data goes. Perhaps I simply don't understand how this is designed to work.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help offered.

Neal

Back