Recalling marks the file damaged

marcinek

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have TSM 5.5.2 running on W2003. Lib is 7 drive 3584. There is a 3 node GPFS cluster migrating lanfree some large multimedia files (about 10G each) running on SuSE SLES Linux boxes.
During the file recall some random parts of the files are makred as damaged, But when we run audit vol fix=y they becomes vaild again. There are no patterns about which file, drive, or cartrige will be involved. It seems that storage agent records incoretct metadata since files themselves are ok.
We tried all the stuff like changing zoning, move drives to separate from disks hba , updating firmware whenever it is applicable, upgrading tsm, sta, hsm and so on. the problem persisted even after moving from lto3 to lto4.
The questions are:
1. Does somebody already had this kind of problems?
2. How to debug STA? Is there any kind of activity log on STA?
3. Does validateprotocol=all work for lanfree nodes?
4. Any sugestions to try more?

Media Changer

A quick question(s) here. Do you have the media changer enabled on the LANFREE nodes or just on the TSM Server?
Also note that you should not share Disk and Tape on the same HBA.
When you run the validate LANFREE what does it show you?

hi, thanks for the quick reply.
yes we used to have drives and disks on same HBA, than we moved to different ports of dual port HBA. Now it is on complelly different cards.

What do you mean about media changer enabled on lanfree nodes? Is it if LinTape drivers sees the changer?

I'll run the validation tomorrow.

have a nice day/evening

Lanfree

For example if your TSM Server is Windows, that would be the Library Manager (or AIX etc.). The LANFREE setup essentially is a mini-TSM Server and they become Library clients. They should not see the Media Changer at all.
If you have the media changer enabled on the Lanfree Client (yes they must see the tape drives but not the media changer) things start getting out of sorts. The Storage Agent tries to mount a Tape on a drive when that should be done by the TSM server. If you watch the logs you will see a tape go up and the other system will dismount it and then it may get mounted again and this will go back and forth.
Also make sure you have Library Sharing turned on for the Storage Agents so that they can be true library clients.
Lanfree only backs up to tape, unless you have disk set up as File and then you can use that method.
I'm not sure how this would show up on a linux box (the media changer) but it would have to be disabled somehow. On Windoze it is easier to see and fix.

Also you said you ran audit volumes with fix = yes. I am pretty sure that if a problem is found and you have a fix=yes turned on then some data will be deleted. I would always run the audit on a tape with fix=no to start and see what it comes back with.

Back