RAC nodes and Oracle TDP backups

khurram

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guys

I have sucessfully configured TDP for Oracle RAC nodes with rman scripts taking online full backup and archive logs backups.

My confusion is that as these are two Oracle RAC nodes, should i run TSM schedules on one of the node at a time?

I have registered both nodes as seprate nodes in TSM ( let say RAC1 & RAC2) but configured TDP on one of node ( SAY RAC1) and run dsmc schedule on RAC1 only.

I assume that other node will be just passive during backups ,however in case of failure of first node , i have to just start schedular on RAC2... Will it work at that time?

This approach is correct or should i use virtualnode concept for these RAC nodes?

Any idea for recovery? RAC data can be restored on single machine?

Regards

I can't get heads or tails from what you are asking.

This is my understanding:

1. You have one physical client
2. On this client you have installed two TDP instances (I hope I am still right at this point) - WHY?

If the intention is to have LOG and DB backups of a Oracle on this client, there is no need to install TWO instances of TDP. You can create schedules based on what you need to do with just one TDP instance with each schedule with one doing a full DB backup and the other doing the log archive.

Last edited:
Hi Moon_buddy

Thanks for your response.

No only one one node of RAC cluster , TDP for oracle is configured. This is the server, from where i am running rman backups to take online backups with TSM schedules.

Question is that , what to do with other RAC node? Can it participate in backups, Can it's participation enhance backup performance ?

Second, in my view , i can run TSM schedules from other node as well without any further configuration ? Am i right? Do i need to register this node as well in TSM and configure TDP on this node as well?

in rac you only need one schedule on one client, after the backup starts rman connects to database in both rac nodes and backs them up. rman manages all nodes in cluster...

Agreed,

But my concern is what would happen if this RAC1 node failed due to any HW failure..

I personally researched more on this topic and found that it would be better if we register both RAC nodes with single virtual name on TSM server ( like if we have RAC1 and RAc2 , register RAC-cluster TSM node ) and then put all configuration files on shared SAN drive...

But problem in my case , that i already have configured everything using local filesystem and not sure if i just copy the files from local filesystem of RAC1 to shared filesystem ( or to local filesystem of RAC2) will it work or not?

And if yes, what would be minimum files ( TDP configuration files ) to be copied ?

Any idea

Thanks in advance

Back