Questions about Migrating clients and their passwords

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
New TSM server is ready. Planning to use 'export node * filedata=n toserver=new_server1' to create my node definitions on the new TSM server. Then follow up with defining the schedule associations.

Sounds easy enough, but my problem is that when I modify a client's OPT file to point to the new TSM server, the client seems to have "forgotten" its password and requires I reset the password on the client. Since over time the client and TSM have negotiated new passwords I don't know what it is. So, I have to set it on the server and the client.

I don't want to have to redefine the TSM passwords for every node. Does anyone know if there is a way to create node definitions so that I don't have to go and set a new TSM password for every client?

Are these clients Windows based? If so the short answer is no, in the registry they use the name of the TSM instance as part of the password entry field. You could try to setup the new TSM server with the same instance name as long as you're not using library sharing features and see if that'd work. On any *nix based client I don't expect you're having any issues.

Here's the registry password path if you'd like to see, not sure if you could manually modify the registry path as well. Would be quicker just to update the node password at that point.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes\<nodename>\<TSM server instance name>

Yes, the Windows clients are the troublemakers. Copying and editing the registry keys does work, but too much trouble.

Well, I take it back...the Linux clients have the same problem. They don't connect to the new TSM server with the correct password.

I ended up exporting the registry key, editing it for the new TSM server name, and imported the modified key. That works great for the Windows clients. Now I need a similar hack for the Linux clients. Anyone know where the TSM passwords are stored on Linux TDP clients?

Back