Query regarding Configuring TSM DB Backup in TSM 6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandgmenon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
if i give q volhist command, it shows only the 2 latest db backups. does this mean that only the 2 latest db backup versions are retained???. How do you set this option ???

currently i have configured both TSM DB full backup and snapshot backup. What is the difference between the two ???

What are the things to be kept in mind for configuring TSM DB Backup if i am configuring the instance manually???

if i give q volhist command, it shows only the 2 latest db backups. does this mean that only the 2 latest db backup versions are retained???. How do you set this option ???

No, the out put from the q volhist will only show you how many backup of the database.
Look for an admin schedule that issue the command -
delete volhist t=dbb todate=today-14 <- This will cause the TSM Server to keep the database backup for 14days.

The above syntax is what controls how long to keep the database backup.

If we do not run the above command, then the TSM Server will keep ALL the database backup forever.

For more info about the delete volhist review the following.

TSM 6.2 Reference - delete volhist
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...itsm.srv.ref.doc/r_cmd_volhistory_delete.html

When you set up an admin schedule to backup the database.
Also set up an admin schedule to backup the volhist and the devconfig.

Starting with TSM Server 6.X, the volhist information is very important with the restore of the database.

The old TSM Server 5.X version, if you know the name of the tape volume that contains the dbbackup.
You can still restore the database without the volhist.
Not so with TSM Server 6.X .

Good Luck,
Sias

Hi Leed,

Thanks for the update.

In that case, will each database backup happen on to a new tape and thus consume all the scratch tapes???

Also what is the difference between a full database backup and a snapshot backup ???

In that case, will each database backup happen on to a new tape and thus consume all the scratch tapes???

Yes, each backup of the database will use a scratch tapes.

From the admin guide.

A snapshot database backup is a full database backup that does not interrupt the current full and incremental backup series.

Snapshot database tapes can then be taken off-site for recovery purposes and therefore kept separate from the normal full and incremental backup tapes. Snapshot database backups enhance the protection of your server and its data while maintaining the full and incremental database backup series. Although snapshot database backups cannot restore a database to its most current state, you can use them to restore a database to a specific point-in-time.

Snapshot database backups:
Copy the complete contents of a database, just like a full database backup.
Create a new database backup series without interrupting the existing full and incremental backup series for the database.
Use the BACKUP DB command to perform a snapshot database backup. New volume history entries are created for the snapshot database volumes. Note that the most current snapshot database cannot be deleted with the DELETE VOLHISTORY command. This is to prevent the accidental loss of what could be the only way to recover the server.

In a nutshell.

A DBsnapshot is an out-of-band db backup, which does not participate in a full+incremental Backup Series (and cannot be used with incremental db backups during a database restoral).
DBsnapshots constitute have their own number series, independent of the numbering of the full+incremental series.

Good Luck,
Sias

Thanks alot Sias,

i COULD FIND A SCRIPT WHICH RUNS DEL VOLH every day..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back