queried LTO drive status=unknown

What OS is this running on? Are the drives direct attach or going thru a switch. Please explain your environment a little . . . Also, have you attempted to do 'update drive "libraryname" driveX online=yes' for the drives yet? Usually when I have a drive or library go offline, when it comes back it will usually tell me the state is unknown . . .

If your drive is online and the status is unknown it usually means that it has not mounted any tapes since the Daemon or Service was last restarted or the Drive being queried was recently configured on the TSM server. To clear this status if you have recently installed a new drive or device restart the TSM server as it sometimes does not recognize the new device until a restart even though all your queries tell you that it is installed. After restarting send the server to query something on the device.

If your drive or device is offline verify that you have correctly installed the TSM device drivers if not, update the drivers. Use NTUTIL to verify that you have connectivity will your device if using an IBM LTO (Maybe HP LTO devices can also be checked with NTUTIL).

I had the same problem which I solved by removing path, drive (for the one in unknown status) then by readding drive and path definition.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>drives appeared in state unknown.

Pls advise[/LIST]</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Just clean that drive. It will be okay then.

Back