Problem Creating Server Instance on Win Server 2008 x64

ellisdp

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

Using TSM 6.2.1 on Windows Server (Standard) 2008 x64, Service Pack 1. I have installed the Server and Admin Center components.

When trying to create a server instance, I get the error:

Code:
ANRW0557E  You cannot create a server instance on the target machine. The operating system is not supported.

although the above is a supported platform according to the IBM documentation.

Google shows no results for this error so I'm a bit unsure where to go - any clues?

Thanks,

David

What software package did you use? Was the package a download from IBM's website? Most packages downloaded from IBM's website are upgrade packages and do not have the full code.

I suspect - but don't take my word for this - that the install needs the base CD - meaning version 6.2 - first. After the install, you can upgrade to whatever sub-versions you need which in this case 6.2.1.

Last edited:
One of the following operating systems...

* Microsoft Windows Server 2003: Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter Edition, Service Pack 2 or later.
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003: Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter x64 Edition (64-bit), Service Pack 2 or later.
* Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003
* Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 x64
* Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter Edition
* Microsoft Windows Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter x64 Edition (64-bit)
* Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2: Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter Edition

Run 2008 without SP1

What software package did you use? Was the package a download from IBM's website? Most packages downloaded from IBM's website are upgrade packages and do not have the full code.

I suspect - but don't take my word for this - that the install needs the base CD - meaning version 6.2 - first. After the install, you can upgrade to whatever sub-versions you need which in this case 6.2.1.

We downloaded the 6.2.1 install from IBM. This is a full version - the install completed without error, it is when I open the Admin Center and select the "Create Server Instance" wizard that I get this error.

Just tried on Win 2003 R2 Server and get the same thing - I must be missing something obvious ...

We downloaded the 6.2.1 install from IBM. This is a full version - the install completed without error, it is when I open the Admin Center and select the "Create Server Instance" wizard that I get this error.

Just tried on Win 2003 R2 Server and get the same thing - I must be missing something obvious ...

Well, I don't install TSM via downloaded packages. If I recall correctly, I have tried before and got explainable results. Try the CD install.

As I know it, license files or imbedded license files does come only with a CD install.

Well, I found that I was able to create the instance another way, using the Server Initialization Wizard within the TSM Management Console, rather than using the Admin Center.

After I created it I was able to complete the configuration and use TSM successfully, and to connect to and configure the server using Admin Center.

So I am not sure why that error shows up when trying to create the Server Instance one way but not the other way, but I got around it.

Back