Possible reclaimation deadlock

TiborB

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

we have following storage pool with 5 tapes:

select VOLUME_NAME,PCT_UTILIZED,STATUS from volumes where STGPOOL_NAME='........'
VOLUME_NAME PCT_UTILIZED STATUS
------------------ ------------ ------------------
F00006L4 100.0 FILLING
F00007L4 9.7 FULL
F00008L4 23.8 FULL
F00009L4 19.5 FULL
F00000L4 100.0 FULL

Reclaimation treshold is 60 as usuall.

My question is - is this situation above an deadlock? TSM would want to move content of three tapes to some other tape, but storage pool maxscratch limit is achieved already (it is 5 obviously). And there are no scratch L4 tapes anyway in the library.

Just note that this is next storage pool only.

If there was a L4 scratch tape in library, could TSM use it - i.e. temporarily exceed maxscratch limit just for it can do reclaimation?

I know that I can still do 'move data' to primary storage pool to provide one free L4 tape.

So the question is - can TSM cope with this situation by itself? (do not consider possible expiration of data in the future)

And I ask it just to learn more about how TSM works.

Thanks

NO scratch tape means no reclamation runs.

If you have a scratch tape, TSM will run the reclamation and the three lowest % utilized will be scratched bringdown your max scratch to 3 after reclamation runs.

I am not sure if you understand the situation.
Situation is:

Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 5
Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 5

Question: If there is another free/scratch volume in library, will space reclaimation take the place? Percentage below indicates that probably 2 tapes could be freed.

I am not sure if you understand the situation.
Situation is:

Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 5
Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 5

Question: If there is another free/scratch volume in library, will space reclaimation take the place? Percentage below indicates that probably 2 tapes could be freed.

As I said, if you don't have any scratch tape in the library, no recalamtion runs. If you have one scratch tape, reclamation will run even if you have the condition stated above.

Thanks,

It is clear now.
I dont have a scratch tape in the library but I can add one...

Back