POLL : How many TSM server do you have?

How many TSM servers is there in your company?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

b4restore

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi TSM'ers

Would it be interesting to know, what a typical TSM envionment looks like in a global perspective?

I know a lot of companies that operates 1-4 TSM servers. In those organisations backup is handled by 1-2 people, together with dozens of other tasks.

But how many TSM servers does YOUR company have?

Thanks for your participation in the poll :)

We currently have 7 TSM servers, 3 physical tape libraries, 2 VTL units presenting 2 libraries each (so 4 more virtual libraries), and >800 defined client nodes, managed my one full time TSM admin, and 2 part-time admins.

More than Me

I have 2 TSM Servers 1000 Nodes, Connected In House, Veritas In House, Windows Backups and just me to do backups.

I have 2 TSM Servers 1000 Nodes, Connected In House, Veritas In House, Windows Backups and just me to do backups.

Geez.. just you doing the backups. With 1000 Nodes I'd rather start thinking about scheduling ;-)

PJ

The Honeywell account I was on with IBM had 54+ TSM server instances with more on the way. Half were small sites with 20 or less clients. The rest supported the major data centers with an average of 200-250 clients per TSM instance. With Infocrossing we have over 20 TSM servers with possibly some more on the way depending on business growth.

Last edited:
Had about a 100 servers at a previous place of business backing up tens of thousands of clients. Can't be more specific than that. Luckily, these days it's only 4 screwed up TSM servers and a couple thousand clients. :)

Hi everyone!!

Well at my place i have 2 TSM servers one for each hands. We have several
small node that we baking up and some ohters are very large DB node. Also
we doing remote backup and monitoring as a services for our great customers.

Hi all. I have seen single instances, multiple instances, multiple severs with multiple instances, nothing more than 8 instances for a single customer though. Shared DC's for multiple customers, 50+ instances easily.

Currently I managed a 3 (three) instance TSM prod and 1 DR/Test instance. Company is a medium-size bz.
small-medium size seems to have a 1-9 TSM instances . Geographical location of brances/data centre affects the number of TSM instances on a sytem as well as size of buz. Big banks can have the same size as what chad_small is managing

Small

We have 2 servers. 1 for backups/archives with 120 clients with a 3494 library (4 3590 drives). 1 for Content Manager Ondemand.. so only 5 clients with a 3995 Optical Library.

Also small

We have one server for about 80 nodes. It is scsi connected to 3494lib w/ 7 3590 drives. We have DS4100 SAN for disk storage pools. Currently, keep about 35 TB total space (tape and disk). This is about a 12,000 employee company.

hey... i'm new to the SAN and backup world...

we have 1 tsm server on aix 5.3 (or is it 5.4.. i forgot)

a lil over 200 nodes.

Back