Pct Util: 40.9% & Volume Status: Full

shahbaz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is it not strange that at 40.9% the volume status got full and not backing up more files of lesser size, like few bytes or kbs..

Hi

Is it not strange that at 40.9% the volume status got full and not backing up more files of lesser size, like few bytes or kbs..

From which storage pool does this volume belong to? Copy or online tape pool? Is this a tape that you are referring to? Please give details.

From which storage pool does this volume belong to? Copy or online tape pool? Is this a tape that you are referring to? Please give details.

basically i don't have any tape drives. I have a TB drive which is mounted into TSM server with device type 'FILE' and format 'DRIVE'.
i created a stgpool name 'stg1' and defined its volume upto 20GB.. now after taking certain incremental backups.. it reached upto 47.8% and show FULL in vol status.. and not talking further incremental backups.. i don't know what to do with it..
please let me know if required more info

can you send output of:

q vol volume_name f=d

Reclaim the stgpool

It is acting just like it should, since you run expiration. RECLAIM stgpool <stgpool_name> will help.

Whats the percent reclaimable? Could be 59.1%.

Hi

here is the detailed of volume

Volume Name: /mnt/backup/TIVOLIBACKUP/stg1_vol1
Storage Pool Name: stg1
Device Class Name: TIVOLI_STORAGE
Estimated Capacity: 14,876.4
Scaled Capacity Applied:
Pct Util: 39.5
Volume Status: Full
Access: Read/Write
Pct. Reclaimable Space: 61.1
Scratch Volume?: No
In Error State?: No
Number of Writable Sides: 1
Number of Times Mounted: 50
Write Pass Number: 2
Approx. Date Last Written: 08/12/2009 01:48:54 PM
Approx. Date Last Read: 08/21/2009 09:22:07 AM
Date Became Pending:
Number of Write Errors: 0
Number of Read Errors: 0
Volume Location:
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable : No
Last Update by (administrator): SERVER_CONSOLE
Last Update Date/Time: 06/05/2009 06:01:29 PM
Begin Reclaim Period:
End Reclaim Period:
Drive Encryption Key Manager:
also tried for reclamation but failed with this error;

ANR1086E Space reclamation is ended for volume /mnt/backup/TIVOLIBACKUP/stg1_vol1. There is insufficient space in storage pool.

ANR0985I Process 3 for SPACE RECLAMATION running in the BACKGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE at 09:34:57 AM.

ANR4936I Reclamation of storage pool stg1 has ended. Files reclaimed: 0, Bytes reclaimed: 0, Files reconstructed: 0, Unreadable files: 0.

further to this.. I have allotted 5Gb of more volume to same stgpool and its again filling with bullet speed. here its stats

Volume Name Storage Device Estimated Pct Volume
Pool Name Class Name Capacity Util Status
------------------------ ----------- ---------- --------- ----- --------
/mnt/backup/TIVOLIBACKU- stg1 TIVOLI_ST- 14,876.4 39.5 Full
P/stg1_vol1 ORAGE
/mnt/backup/TIVOLIBACKU- stg1 TIVOLI_ST- 5,000.0 72.5 Filling
P/stg1_vol2 ORAGE

Last edited:
When filling volumes, at a point, the volume became full.
It will stay in state Full until it is reclaimed manually or automaticaly.
On your q vol, you can see:
Pct Util: 39.5
and:
Pct. Reclaimable Space: 61.1
Now the question is how many volumes do you have in storage pool stg1 ?
What is the next storage pool ?
see all that with a query stgpool stg1 format=detail

Reclaim

You should read the help pages for reclaim stgp (help reclaim stgp), etc. Also, what is your setting for that stgpool's reclamation threshold? You need enough space on another volume for two other volumes to be consolidated to it. When it comes to onsite tape consolidation, it will find 2 tapes with only 49% used (or 51% reclaimable) and consolidate that to a single scratch tape that will then be 98% used and the other two will be 'empty/scratch'. I'm not sure how it works with a devclass of disk rather than tape, but you may want to send in a call to support.

Back