Oracle TDP - Mgmt class

madbug0

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have few oracle databases which needs to be backed. I was just trying to change the domain of these oracle nodes to ORACLE from earlier STANDARD.
But the backup started failing with error, the directories assoicated to management class not found.

I want to know, how or where to check the for this mgmt class at oracle side.
Location for tdpo.opt file is
/<oracleuser>/<oracleinstance>/rman/tdp/tdpo.opt
dsm.opt in config_ora file is pointing to /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/ba/bin64

there i couldn't find any mgmt class specified.

Is there any separate command for oracle like db2 to check for same
GET db config for db2instance show config

relevent information will be highly appreciated

The reason it is failing is because of the change from Standard to Oracle. I would safely assume that you did not leave the Standard mgmt class behind. I presume you created a new one called Oracle and deleted the Standard. What you should have done is created the Oracle class along side the Standard, set Oracle as default and leave the Standard as is in the Domain.

Everything should update pointing to Oracle after a backup.

I reverted the changes, now all the nodes in STANDARD domain and backup for them is running fine

My concern is, In TSM I can check the mgmt class used by particular node by giving select command
select distinct class_name from backups/archives where node_name='XXXXX'

But where to check the management class information at oracle side. In tdpo.opt it is not avialable.

Please suggest.

I reverted the changes, now all the nodes in STANDARD domain and backup for them is running fine

My concern is, In TSM I can check the mgmt class used by particular node by giving select command
select distinct class_name from backups/archives where node_name='XXXXX'

But where to check the management class information at oracle side. In tdpo.opt it is not available.

Please suggest.

The mgmt class an Oracle node gets is the default mgmt class that was setup when the domain was first defined. In your case, it was the Standard one. If you want to replace the default mgmt class, define a new one and set it as default. Don't delete the old one.

Alternatively, you can set different mgmt class in the tdpo.opt file. Read the section for "Storage Manager for Databases" at this link: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp and look under section "Define Data Protection for Oracle options in the tdpo.opt file".

Last edited:
Back