Open File Issues on Windows 2003

managerxxx

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

After waiting months for the new client that handles open/locked files on Windows 2003 I'm still having issues and can't get locked files to back up.

We're running 5.3.2 Clients on Windows 2003 SP1 talking to a 5.2.6.3 server on Windows 2003 SP1.

LVSA is installed and I believe I've tried every single combination of the include.fs command in the dsm.opt file and various locations for the snapshot but EVERY time the backup fails with:

11/04/2005 11:32:08 Unknown system error. Please check the TSM Error Log for any additional information

11/04/2005 11:32:08 ANS1376W The client was unable to obtain a snapshot of the file system. The operation will continue without snapshot support.

On the server I see:

11/04/2005 11:32:07 ANE4034E (Session: 145, Node: MILICT1) Error processing

'\\milict1\c$\*': unknown system error (SESSION: 145)

When I perform a manual/gui backup from the client it gets to the ASR\waitforevent.exe and the file in the LVSA cache grows but then eventually I get the errors show above.

Is this a know issue by virtue of the fact that I'm running a 5.3.X client talking to a 5.2.X server?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hello...

Is LVSA running or stopped?...include.fs is not necessary since backup type=incremental takes the SYSTEMOBJECTS, SYSTEMSERVICES or SYSTEMSTATE depending of plataform.

Do you have the SNAPSHOTCACHELOCATION file specified in dsm.opt?..To use this feature, you need to have at least 2 drives. One where data resides and another to place this files backuped up.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the reply. When you ask "Is LVSA Running" should I see this as a service? I do see a folder in the LVSA folder at the snapshotlocation (specified in DSM.opt) that grows in size when trying to run a snapshot.

The server has multiple drives and I'm specifying the snapshot location on a different drive to the one being backed up.

I've just done some more testing and the system state and services backup OK on their own. When I try to backup the C drive I get the errors details in my post below....

Hi!

This is an error i get to so Im hoping someone has a solution to the problem , having the same problem but we are using the 5.3.2.1 TSM server release.

I would like to have the NTUser.dat file being backed up using TSMs own interface and not using the workaround that IBM came up with by using the NTbackup, but we are having some issues on some other files that are locked during backup to.

The configuration looks good.

This problem may occur if the SystemObject and/or SystemServices Filespaces were corrupted.

Do the following:

On TSM Server:

del fi <nodename> <system state / services fi>

On Client GUI

Backup Full of Systemstate / services

Retest

Best Regards,

Alan

Glad I'm not the only one getting the pain!! I can now confirm that this problem is linked to the OS partition on the server that I'm testing this on. I can successfully back up other drives with/without the system state/services without a problem.

I've done some testing and can narrow the issue down to a file/files in either local settings or application data of the logged on user. We're excluding NTUSER.dat here.

Hi,

I had the same problem, did some googling on the matter, and as it turned out:

- Deinstall tsm client and reboot

- remove all references to the lsva in the dsm.opt file like snapshot locations etc

- reinstall and reboot

- things worked fine for me.

BUT not on all servers. On some servers I still get @night ANE4034E unknown system error.

If I try the gui during the day, all is fine, if I do a immed sched all is fine... But sometimes during the night thing go wrong....

Cheers Erik

I have been trying this back and forward and my conclusion is that when backing up manually the Snaphots works fine, but when trying to use Backup Domain then the snapshot will fail what so ever, i have tried to tell the client to use different locations for the snapshot cache dependng on what fs i will backup with no luck, but as i said doing a manual backup in client gui on a one or more drives at the same time will work.. wich in my world is strange.... has anyone succeded with backups using domain backup??

I forgot to mention that my tests are also done on a clean Win 2003 server install with a clean new install of TSM client. No left overs from some old installation could be the problem in this case. And we also used the new 5.3.2.2 updated versin of the Client.

Here is my dsm.opt if anyone has any to say about that?

TCPSERVERADDRESS server1

tcpwindowsize 63

txnbytelimit 25600

largecommbuffers no

commmethod tcpip

replace prompt

subdir yes

tapeprompt no

language ameng

QUERYSCHEDPERIOD 1

SCHEDMODE POLLING

COMPRESSION YES

MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP NO

DFSBACKUPMNTPNT NO

SUBFILEBACKUP YES

SUBFILECACHEPATH c:tsm_temp

SUBFILECACHESIZE 100

DOMAIN C:

DOMAIN F:

PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

ENCRYPTIONTYPE AES128

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT

EXCLUDE.DIR "*:Recycler"

EXCLUDE.DIR "*:...Temporary Internet Files"

EXCLUDE.DIR "*:System Volume Information"

INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32dnsbackup...*"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32dns...*"

INCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32dhcpbackup...*"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32dhcp...*"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32Perflib*.dat"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...system32config...*"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:IO.SYS"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:IBMDOS.COM"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:IBMBIO.COM"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:...EA DATA. SF"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:microsoft uam volume...*.*"

EXCLUDE.ARCHIVE "*:microsoft uam volume...*"

INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32dnsbackup...*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32dns...*"

INCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32dhcpbackup...*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32dhcp...*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32Perflib*.dat"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...system32config...*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...EA DATA. SF"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:microsoft uam volume...*.*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:microsoft uam volume...*"

EXCLUDE.BACKUP "*:...*.log.jbbdb.dmp.log"

EXCLUDE.DIR "C:tsm_images"

EXCLUDE.DIR "C:tsm_temp"

EXCLUDE.DIR "C:Slask"

EXCLUDE.DIR "C:tsmlvsacache"

EXCLUDE.DIR "F:tsmlvsacache"

INCLUDE.SUBFILE "*"

Add the following to your dsm.opt, and see if it helps:

INCLUDE.FS "C:" FILELEVELTYPE=DYNAMIC SNAPSHOTCACHESIZE=100 SNAPSHOTFSIDLERETRIES=99 SNAPSHOTFSIDLEWAIT=1S SNAPSHOTCACHELOCATION="F:\YOUR cache location"

INCLUDE.FS "F:" FILELEVELTYPE=DYNAMIC SNAPSHOTCACHESIZE=100 SNAPSHOTFSIDLERETRIES=99 SNAPSHOTFSIDLEWAIT=1S SNAPSHOTCACHELOCATION="C:\YOUR cache location"

Just edit it, so that it matches your cache location.

It seems to work just fine for me. I've got little to no problems backing up open files on serveral Win2003 servers, using these parameters.

Hope it helps.

Back