One host, two backup nodes with different inc/exc?

Legless

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've got one host that I want to set up two nodes on, one for OS backup, and the other for the backup of the database files.

I assume this would be done with two different include/exclude files, which would be owned by two different nodes... But I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around how to do this.

How do I proceed?

Hi,

You really do not need to separate the backups in this way however as the data would be placed in separate filespaces. However, I assume you have your reasons so if you truly need to do this then here are a few options.

Create 2 option files and run the backup by passing the -OpFile parameter.

For example;

CLI

1, dsmc -optfile="G:DsmOpt Folderdsm_1.opt"

2, dsmc -optfile="G:DsmOpt FolderDsm_2.opt"

Alternatively you can execute the dsmc by passing all relevant parameter.

For Example:

dsmc -nodename=Server1_Node1 -tcps=tcpserveradress

dsmc -nodename=Server1_Node2 -tcps=tcpserveradress

You may also create multiple TSM Scheduler services just remember to use the appropriate nodename when installing it.

DdsmcUtil Install /Name:"TSM Sched_1" /Node:Server1_Node1 ........

DdsmcUtil Install /Name:"TSM Sched_2"/Node:Server1_Node2 ........

Hope this helps

Hi Zenu,

Thank you for your response. I need to do it this way because different filesystems would be backed up with different schedules. The OS filesystems will be a daily, but the Data filesystems will be done every hour.

I like your suggestion of the different optfiles, called by different DSMC processes... Would each listen on a different port?

If I understand right, I'd have one single dsmc.sys file which would indicate the presence of two difference dsmc.opt files, and each of those opt files would have the appropriate include/excludes for the node, correct?

Your response is appreciated.

Thank you,

Legless.

Hi Legless,

Yes, you would have one dsm.sys file and two dsm.opt files. You must include two stanza in the dsm.sys file that each dsm.opt file would reference. You can then place your incude statements in each stanza or add an INCLEXCL option that points to an include/Exclude file list.

Example:

Dsm_1.opt

ServerName Stanza1

Dsm_2.opt

ServerName Stanza2

Dsm.sys

ServerName Stanza1

NodeName Server1_Node1

TCPServerAddress x.x.x.x

InclExcl /somepath/inclexcl.txt

ServerName Stanza2

NodeName Server1_Node2

TCPServerAddress x.x.x.x

InclExcl /somepath/inclexcl.txt

Zenu

Whoops - this looks like a duplicate thread - I replied to the other one posted by Legless =) Still curious as to which OS and which Database you are using...

The client OS is Linux, and Database is mysql. We are hoping to take colds kicked off by a command script

Back