One client two policies??

klebesco

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

this is a how to question! (I have a fairly good understanding of the TSM server processes, BUT, almost no experience with clients)

We have a few client nodes where we do backups, short term archivals, and long term archivals.

For the long term archivals we trick TSM by generating a unique name each day and backing it up... this way it sticks around for the Policy retain only value number of days (730).

Unfortunately, maybe 30-40% of my data by volume is this long term type and I would like to segregate it from everything else. I suspect that without having to pass all this data, my vault reclamation time would be substantially reduced.

My inclination is to set up another policy which has separate primary and copy pool (which I would never reclaim)...but I'm not sure how to get these guys from the clients to the new primary pool.

Someone else must be doing this... I've been peeking around the client manual re how to this, BUT, the solution is eluding me.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts (or maybe a just a quick answer)!

Thanks for sharing!

Kurt :grin:

I'm a bit confused by your usage of the long-term archivals. I'm assuming you are referring to the type of file rather than the TSM archive function.

if you are referring to the TSM archive function, then you can create a separate management class with a different destination storage pool (within the underlying copy group definition). Then you can use the "-archmc flag" or the include/exclude feature (described below).

However, if you are refering to backups of files that are of a type "long term archival", then you can use the include/exclude lists for doing separate bindings of files to different management classes. For example, using the same domain, I'd create a new management class, call it "2year" that keeps the files 2years and puts the data into a different destination storage pool. Also, lets say that the files for the long term all end in *.long . Then I'd use this include statement to do it

include *.long 2year

(you'll have to look up how to setup an include/exclude statements or file).

So, when the backups occurr all files machine "*.long" would be bound to the 2year management class and put in a different storage pool...blah..blah. The keys is management class. Files and directories in TSM are bound to management classes!

good luck

Back