Ok here is a strange question for everyone...good way to start a Monday

ghag

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have an ADIC Scalar 1000 library AIT-3. (current firmware)

I have TSM 5.1.5.4 (AIX 4.3.3)

I have done reclaimations and the tapes that have become the newest scratch tapes have only been written to once in this rotation.

TSM would start writing to these tapes and then eject the tape and tape the drive offline.

Then when another backup request comes...it tries to use the same tape again and takes another drive offline...still not throwing an error on the tape,take the tape to a read-only or unavailable status

activity log message

ANR8300E I/O error on library ADIC (OP=00006C03, CC=314, KEY=05, ASC=3B, ASCQ=0E, SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00

Now it gets interesting

I checked these tapes out and put them back in as scratch (don't ask why)

and I checked the next day to find the drives were not taken offline and those tapes were written to 100% w/o errors

What gives... :confused:

Thanks...apologies for the long posting... :)

George Hagopian

Unix/TSM Administrator

Wow...I guess I have stumped everyone!!...

I'll post the resolution when I have one.

ANR8300E I/O error on library ADIC (OP=00006C03, CC=314, KEY=05, ASC=3B, ASCQ=0E, SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00

This Library error is in the Messages Guide. But does not explain much. I have worked with an ADIC only one time. The what type of Storage Pool are they being reclaimed from?

With ADIC Libraries there is a patch for the library manager that might change this. This TSM Server Deletes the Tape from a read write status to a scratch status When the tape is reclaimed. The Library Manager in the ADIC Library has locks on the tape that will not allow for it to be over written. what you are dealing with is a software hickup. Because the ADIC Library Manager thinks the tape belongs to something in TSM, even though TSM has deleated it from inventory the ADIC Manager is not being updated properly. That explaines why when you check out the tape and check it back in as scratch TSM can read write because the ADIC is now updated.

I hope this helps answer your question. Go to the ADIC website and make sure you have the latest fixes. Also check for TSM updates.

If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]

Back