Offsite volumes...What are others doing with them?

bvillega

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are starting to do DRM with TSM. In the past, we used Iron Mountain to send the tapes (not from TSM) offsite. These were full backups everynight so IRon Mountain would return them after a week. Now, with DRM and TSM, I have no way to tell when the tapes will need to come back . It will depend on expiration and reclamation and REUSEDELAY.

Other than keeping them in the same computer room, how are others managing this with the company that does offsite storage for you?

Thanks in advance,

B

Get "slotted" storage for your tapes. They take them out of the box and put them in a rack, scanning the barcode. Then, you just run "q drm wherestate=vaultret" and give them the list 24 hours ahead of your regularly scheduled pickup/return.

curtis

We use Iron Mountian with TSM (actually 5 TSM servers) If you run the command "q drmedia qherestate=vaultr" and send them that list, you should get back those tapes in a day or two (depending on how fast they are) Once the tapes are back, you can run a move drmedia for that volume and move it to "onsiter" which should make it scratch.

Iron Mountian actually has a service that will allow you to FTP a file to them to automate the recall process. I think they call it SKIP or SKIPConnect or something like that. Getting this all setup was somewhat difficult, but now its VERY easy since I ftp them my list and those tapes show up that afternoon.

-Aaron

Back