offsite copypool never expires

caldwem01

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
my data never expires. It is an image that must be retained forever. Therefore my copypool data never expires. We currently wait for the copypool tape is to become full onsite before taking offsite. This can take 2 weeks. How can I rotate my copypool data to protect in the event of a local disaster? I won't be reclaiming any offsite data, cause it is never deleted. But, in that 2 week gap I need to take it offsite and figure out how to get it back. Any ideas?

move data (ofsite_vol) (copypool) This will create a new copy of the data that is offsite nto a new volume and expire all the data on the old volume.

If you have a copy pool JUST for these images....create a new pool and setup the existing pool to migrate to the new pool. Then set the migration threshold low (say 1%) and it will move ALL data from the old copy pool to the new copy pool (on new volumes)

-Aaron

Thanks Aaron -how do I move data that is still onsite? will this create a duplicate? Sorry i am confused. If it creates a dup that is great. but how do I keep the data in the tapecopypool that is waiting to be full, then will be sent offsite for archive (forever). but for the 2 weeks while it is filling I am trying to figure out how to get it offsite in case of disaster. ).

If I migrate the data in the existing tapecopypool to a new_copypool with the low thereshold, I won't have duplicates of the data, will I? I still want the copypool to fill to 100%. then take offsite. but in the meantime we need to have the filling data DUPLICATED to take offsite for two weeks and then brought back and expired.

here are my stg pools

smpool primary disk, nextpool:none, copypool: tapecopypool

tapecopypool nextpool:none, copypool:none

backppool primary seq, nextpool:none, copypool:none

THANKS!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>move data (ofsite_vol) (copypool) This will create a new copy of the data that is offsite nto a new volume and expire all the data on the old volume.

If you have a copy pool JUST for these images....create a new pool and setup the existing pool to migrate to the new pool. Then set the migration threshold low (say 1%) and it will move ALL data from the old copy pool to the new copy pool (on new volumes)

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are sending off the only copy after the backup is done, then performing a nightly "backup stgpool" to tapecopypool will send a copy of what you have backed up so far offsite. Once the backup is finished and you are ready to send off the primary copy, just delete all the backup copy pool volumes from tapecopypool and recall them.

If you are backing up smpool to tapecopypool after the backup finishs, then just run the backup stgpool every night and at the end of the backup, you can use the "move data" command on the tapes you sent offsite while smpool was filling to condense the tapecopypool tapes. This will read data from the smpool and write a new tapecopypool tape(making the tape you just 'moved' scratch)

-Aaron

thanks again Aaron it took me a couple days to digest what you are saying. But that makes sense.

is there a way to do a FULL backup of the backuppool (primary) to copy pool everynight? It doesn't appear that there is a way to do it. It looks like I would have to do the move node to consolidate the tapes, like you were saying,. before bringing it scratch back onsite. I wanted to make this easy for an operator, as they aren't trained in TSM.

To my knowledge, there isn't a way to perform a full backup of a stgpool every night. You *might* be able to fake it out by removing the old backups which will force TSM to make another copy of that data. To do this, you would need to find all the tapes in the copy pool (select volume_name from volumes where stgpool_name='tapecopypool') You would then delete the volume with a discard=yes. The next time you issue the backup stgpool command, it will make a new copy of that data from the primary pool. Something to keep in mind, if you delete the copypool volume, you just deleted the copy of the data and now you only have the primary copy until you perform another backup stgpool.

Personally, I would invest in more tapes and just keep the tapes offsite until the primary backup is complete and then delete all the partital backups and perform a new backup.

-Aaron

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Personally, I would invest in more tapes and just keep the tapes offsite until the primary backup is complete and then delete all the partital backups and perform a new backup.

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Aaron,

How would you accomplish taking the tapes offsite? I am not able to ba stg prim copy because the backup wants to load all the tapes in the primary pool. I have some of the tapes for the primary pool offsite already. the ba stg wants me to load those tapes as well.

Is there a tape to tape copy command?

The only way I know of is to recall all the tapes for the primary pool and run the backup stgpool command. Then you send off the copy pool tapes and keep the primary pool tapes onsite (as is designed byTSM)

-Aaron

Back