Number of archive log files on Lotus Notes

francs

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Number of transaction log files on Lotus Notes

Hi
The Lotus Notes server I'm backing up has around 200 users and a full backup totals around 700Gb.
To save some space on tape I thought we could change to a weekly selective and daily logs.
The Notes admin changed to archive logging and I'm backing this up every 2 hours.
However the log files total around 350Gb/day. Notes generate 5x65MB logs every minute.
Is this normal?
How many logfiles does other Domino installations generate?

Thanks

Last edited:
Remember that every domino transaction goes to these archive files. Many transactions with big documents means that you will need many log files. There may be an agent that modifies documents to frequenly, and therefore creates a vast number of transactions to the archive logs.

Have a look in log.nsf to see who is the most active writer/creator of documents.

Aye, depends on utilisation.

For example - a 21,000 user mail site that I'm managing generates perhaps 100 GiB of archive logs per diem. Mail traffic isn't all that high here, though.

There are some databases that its not worth archivally logging. The mail.box files, for example.

When you're doing your analysis, remember that you need to run inactivatelogs after every selective backup, that logs will only be inactivated when all possible NSF/NTFs to which they can apply are gone from the TSM server, that log expiration starts at the point they are inactivated, and that log replay during restore can take a LONG time.

Back