NSI Double Take? To replicate TSM Server?

iswartz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We have TSM in two locations. Each office has it's own TSM database.

I have been using NSI's 'Double Take' product for Exchange reliplication and it works just fine.

I would like to know if I can use the same product and 'replicate' the TSM servers at each site to a similare server at the other site.

For excample, site A, TSM server-A, replicated this server to Site B. So if Site A ever goes down there is a realtime, live replicated TSM database of Site A ready to go at Site B.

Thanks in advance,

- Ian

A quick yes or no probably wouldnt answer this question effectively. Are you talking about failing over to a complete new Server/Library configuration. or just another Server pointing to the old library (In a SAN attached environment).

If youre going to fail to a new library........how are you going to replicate the data inside it, double take wont be doing that.

We use doubletake here and it works well for most applications. Most applications dont have huge tape libraries externally attached to them.

Thanks for your reply.

Well the idea is this. It takes 4+ hours to restore our Db in the event of a problem.

We have in the past done D/R tests to a 'cold' TSM server with a different configuration than the one in production. (i.e. no tape library, just individual drives, etc).

This works fine.

Now we have a 2nd location, the two offices are connected by a couple T-1 links.

Insted of having a 'cold' TSM server, I would like to have a 'warm' one.

I would like to have the Db on both 'sync'd in near real time, rather than having to always load the off site server from tape.

I know what's in the storage pools, tape libraries, etc won't be sync'd. But if I have the Db up and running, and up to date at the 2nd location, then if I need access to data from the 1st location in a disaster, I can just call for the tapes from my off site vendor, and NOT worry about reloading the TSM server (thus saving 4+ hours of time before the Db is up and running).

So in short, I just want to sync the Db, and Logs, so that IF the 1st location goes down, I don't have to manualy restore a DB from tape at the second location, rather I can just call for tapes that have data on them and be running that way.

I don't know if TSM has any way to do this within it's product offerings, I haven't seen any.

And I know that Double Take replicates on a byte by byte basis, and to me, the TSM Db is just a Db like Oracle.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for your time.

- Ian

Ian,

I sure hope 'we' get an answer on this subject because I am also in your shoes. I am smack in the middle of DR negotiations with my company for a remote warm site/tape library and would love to know if TSM can do the sync'ed db.

If you come up with a solution I would appreciate you posting it, as would I.

Back