No TSM X clients?

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
When did TSM stop producing the X Windows client and go strictly java (dsmj)? I am doing a DR test and realized the HP/UX 11.11 systems (TSM 5.3.2) did not have the X Windows client. Now that's not the end of the world but just wasn't aware they had stopped using the X client (dsm).

Last edited:
It's frustrating because a lot of companies don't want anything to do with Java. I have numerous servers that have no java version installed.

You can always start the webclient (dsmcad) and use a PC. *ducks*

The reason for switching to the Java client was so that all the client interfaces had a common look and feel. They also only have to write and update one interface now as I think the webclient and the Java client are actually the same code.

-Aaron

Yep. It was 5.3.

5.3.x of dsmj is somewhat 'feature disadvantaged' as it does not allow some flags to be passed to it.

In testing, 5.4.0 of dsmj looks to include more of the dsm X-windows client features than 5.3 dsmj.

They are both somewhat prone to the typical java malaise I've found in other utilities after conversion to java: UI slower, unexpected hangs, odd modal window behaviour...

Time to hone the command line skills.

So can you just copy the dsm file over from an older version or will libraries and such be missing? Anyone know?

The problem is that java is prone to issues and not everyone likes it installed on their servers. The GUI is the easiest way to restore a large machine. Granted I could do it through a command-line but there is no way to do a single tape pass of a large system through the command-line like you can in the GUI.

I haven't tried using the old X-based client with TSM 5.3 or 5.4 I would imagine that it wouldn't work due to missing libraries.

If you don't want/can't use the Java client, your only real option is the web client (or CLI)

-Aaron

dmsj missing Sun Solaris

We've experienced the same thing with the TSM Client for Sun Solaris.
As the Sun dept. due to business policy cannot install java on their machines they can't use the X GUI anymore.
As we don't want to use the Web Client their only option left is to use the command line, which is now their way to restore files, for example.

Kind regards,
Tommy Hueber
http://www.tsmblog.org

Back