NFS problem during restore/retreive action

cabec

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.delphi.com
Hello @all.

I migrated a TSM 4 server from one AIX 4.3.3 rs6k to TSM 5 on a different rs6k running AIX 5.1. Everythings just worked fine.

Yesterday we had power failure on the old (AIX 4.3.3 with TSM 4) server (defect in the power supply), so the server was down and dead. :sad: The other server was ok. When I started "dsm" on the new server with the old one down, the GUI came up with the optiones for restore/backup and retreive/archive. But I could not start a retreive or a restore action! In the shell from which I started "dsm", there was an error message: "NFS server lgec020 not responding; still trying". lgec020 ist the name of the old one.

Why does TSM need the old server as a NFS server, when I want to restore or retreive something? I do understand that an archive or backup action would fail, because we have NFS mounted stuff. But a restore or a retreive? Can I get rid of this?

Any hints will be appreciated. TIA.

Greets from Good Old Germany.

Carsten.

sounds to me like u have an NFS mounted directory off your old machine mounted somewhere on your new machine ( TSM configuration directories or home directories perhaps )

Two choices here

on the new machine if u dont need anything from the old machine then simply dismount the NFS mount ( May need new machine rebooted ) .

or

if u need the files then Move the files from the old machine then dismount the NFS mount

Without seeing the exact context of yr message I cant really tell u where the issue is but NFS mounts where the source server has gone away cause problems for the whole OS not just TSM

Cheers

SC

Hi SC.

Thx for your answer. I feared this good be the explanation. So I will try to get rid of the NFS mounts from the old server and try again. If this is not the solution I will bother you again. ;)

Enjoy your weekend. :grin:

Hi SC.

Thx for your answer. I feared this could be the explanation. So I will try to get rid of the NFS mounts from the old server and try again. If this is not the solution I will bother you again. ;)

Enjoy your weekend. :grin:

-----

Sorry for the double entry. Found a mistake in the text but was to late to stop transmission.

Hello.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>sounds to me like u have an NFS mounted directory off your old machine mounted somewhere on your new machine ( TSM configuration directories or home directories perhaps )

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems to be the solution! :) I stopped "nfsd" and "rpc.mountd". dsm came up and a retrieve/restore is possible. The rest of the "nfs"-group is still up.

Thx for your help. But it's strange that you need the NFS server for a retreive/restore action.

Greetings from Good Old Germany, wishing all of you a wonderful weekend. :lol:

Carsten.

Back