Newbie questions...

djthomas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all.. newbie here...
I need to find a source that will explain the basics of some of the following things and how it basically works...

I'm doing support for a 3rd party app that backs up data to a TSM server but have minimal knowledge of some of the basic concepts.

node
filespace
stgpool
volume
database volume
volume allocation
stgpool hierarchy
disk volume

I'm looking for as simple explanation as possible: at least initially.

Example:
Node: kindof like a folder off a hdd of a computer.
filespace: A filespace is sort of like a subfolder to a node.
stgpool: A storage pool is a place to hold data and eventually move it elsewhere.

Basically all I need to do is setup a simple machine that backs up to diskpool and that's it. As simplistic as you can get for testing.

Thanks in advance!

Search for Introduction to Tivoli Storage Manager on the web and you will be amazed on how much wealth of information there is.

Last edited:
While you begin reading here are your answers.
Node = TSM client or actualy server you with to back up using TSM
Filespace = Yes - Drive/Volume Group breakdown - Yes - For windows - similar to Drive Letter & Directory Tree - UNIX - similar to directory breakdown only via UNIX logical volumes and filespace names
Storage pool = Storage area to receive client backups - Disk and/or Tape

You'll need to get a Passport Advantage account to download the latest code or if you have the CD - you can begin by performing the attended installation. If Windows - Use the Wizard - If UNIX - get the TSM 5.2 GUI from the FTP size and configure it - then work within that arena.

Good Luck - you know where to find us

Steven

can anyone explain to me as to what "metadata" actually means??..............i tried googling , but the definitions and meaning's really didn't do justice.......:confused:

regard's
joel

Metadata can be looked at:

1. as "pointer to the actual data" or,
2. a description on how the actual data looks like

In TSM terms, the TSM database contains information on how to locate the actual data stored in the different tapes or disk pools. Thus, the TSM database is metadata.

Metadata liteally means "data about the data". In other words, its a small set of data that describes what is in the overall data set. In a JPG file, there is metadata that describes the camera that took the picture, the date it was taken, what exposure and F-stop settings were, etc. In the JPG format the metadata is encoded within the file.

Word-processing documents contain metadata describing who wrote the document, when, and what edits have been made (revision history). That is also metadata encoded within the data.

In Tivoli and other backup applications, the metadata is in the database: What file is on what part of what tape and when it was put there. In this case, the metadata is external to the data, stored separately in the DB2 database.

Confusingly, the actual data (backed up files) can contain metadata (as described for the JPG format).

i must say this forum is filled with VETERAN'S. :up:

regard's

JOEL

Hi mi-court-buadmin,

What u wrote about meta data is exactly correct but one thing u mentioned that the metadata is external to the data, stored separately in the DB2 database.

Its stored in the database but it is not Db2. Its TSM's own database called TSM Database.

Another thing u don't get confuse, data (backed up files) won't contain metadata.

Cheers,
Raj.

Back