New TSM 5.5 BMR feature?? anyone know about it

greenyez

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here is what posted by IBM. What is this BMR feature.. I can't seems to find any detailed info.

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager features Feature Benefits

Bare Machine Restore (bare metal restore) Restores the operating system of Windows, Sun

Bare Metal Recovery is that. A machine that has nothing on it at all. There is a ton of info on the internet. Search for tivoli storage manager bare restore

hi,
TSM hasn't got an integrated BMR module yet. It relies on Cristie Bare Machine Recovery, which has a feature to save data to a TSM server.
The news is that IBM has just acquired and rebranded a new module for BMR (TSM Fastback for DR), and in future releases will be / should be better integrated into TSM server.
cheers
max

Thanks Max.. your info is right. It is talking about the CBMR.

FastBack is for windows OS only

Thanks Max.. your info is right. It is talking about the CBMR.

FastBack is for windows OS only

yep, DR only for windows.
It has also a Microsoft Exchange Server module and a Fileserver module.

cheers
max

TBMR - CBMR for Tivoli
TBMR is Cristie's BMR for TSM software, specifically designed to work with TSM's Backup/Archive client.
Currently it is only available for Windows and Linux machines but Solaris, HP-UX and AIX versions will be available in the next few months.

I dun even know why IBM posted as something ready.

You can bare metal restore a Windows XP or 2003 client with nothing but TSM itself. Only back to similar hardware, nothing fancy. You'd need a third party product to get fancy with BMR.

You can bare metal restore a Windows XP or 2003 client with nothing but TSM itself. Only back to similar hardware, nothing fancy. You'd need a third party product to get fancy with BMR.

tsm server will rely on windows ASR in that case (e.g. no third party software) and i can assure you it's no fun.
Mostly is not affordable, and i'd never advice as a business solution.

cheers
max

"Nice" thing about FastBack that everybody should know before count on it is that it will work only with 32bit win.

There are some tutorials on the Tivoli Field Guide website :
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/sysm...Guides_Technical.html#IBMTivoliStorageManager

Back