NETAPPS ANR1737E UPDATE PATH: Device name nrst4a specified is

LarryB

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.telstraclear.co.nz
Hi,

I deleted a path to NETAPPS during a library rebuild. However, trying to recreate it comes up with ANR1737E UPDATE PATH: Device name rst2a specified is invalid. It was working beforehand.

define path NETAPP02 TD_LTO_DRV6 srctype=DATAMOVER destt=DRIVE library=TD_LTO_LIB1 device=rst2a online=YES

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this. I believe it is a prefix to the device ?

regards

could it be nrsta2?
Otherwise you can check in the netapp with sysconfig -t (if I remember correctly) or just ask
the Netapp admin ;)

/good luck

Last edited:
I am experiencing a near similar issue. I am trying to define the path.It changes nrst1a to rst1a.
when I do a sysconfig -t both nrst1a, rst1a are listed as well.
This is TSM 6.2.
Command:

UPDATE PATH VWIN spindrive1 SRCTYPE=DATAMOVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=spinlib DEVICE=nrst1l
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: UPDATE PATH VWIN
spindrive1 SRCTYPE=DATAMOVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=spinlib DEVICE=nrst1l
ANR8871I The device name nrst1l specified has been changed to rst1l.
ANR1722I A path from VWIN to SPINLIB SPINDRIVE1 has been updated.

any reason why it would change nrst device to rst device

Your issue is quite different from mine. However, I believe there have been changes at later versions that use non-'n' devices. Should still work. My issue is probably related to obsolete versions and incompatiability

Hi Larry. Do you still have a problem?
Kvwar, the funny thing is that I tought that ANR8871I was obsolete!
Do you have problem running with the rst device?
The n in nrst just means no rewind, but as the device and backup is
completely under control of the netapp that basicly just run dumpfs to the
specified device it can make sence from a TSM perspective to force the
netapp to use a rewind device as TSM then won't have to rewind the tape
once control is passed back to TSM.

Yes, it is still an unresolved problem for us. Tried everything. The DataOnTapp is 6.5.1R2 on the NETAPPS which is unsupported. May be reboot of the NETAPPS may fix it... don't know why it would. Situation came about, when we deleted the definitions and tried to re-create it. Tried many different things and always undefined. Had many 'eyes' look at it

Ok.
just to see what happens :)
make a drive offline even paths for TSM .
Mount a empty tape in the drive then login to the netapp console and do a dump of some small data volume
dump 0usf nrst /dev/netapp/etc . This is from memory an I may have mixed it up with Solaris (close enough). Just login to netapp and search for the correct syntax. This will at leas ell you weter the tape is
usable to the netapp or not. You can use the mt command to position the tape befor you put any data on it.

Back