Need backup vm to use vm name: and not ipaddr:

Polen

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
I have a couple of VMs that are Linux based with out VMware Tools installed (ex. SmoothWall). I noticed that the dsmc backup vm command is using the -a ipaddr: switch on vcbmounter, which does not work for VMs where the IP is unknown. How do I get it to use the -a name: switch instead?

I tried -vmlist=SmoothWall[SmoothWall] but no luck.

Any work arounds are welcome.

Backgournd info:
TSM client 6.1
TSM Server 5.5
VCB Proxy - Windows Server 2003
dsmc backup vm - works as long as VM name resolves and matches DNS.

Thanks,
-Polen

Well, after watching the view count of this thread go up with no replies, I take it there isn't away anyone knows of to accomplish this.

I figured out a work around, but some of you may not like it.:p

I opened dsmc.exe with a hex editor and replaced the four occurrences of "-a ipaddr" with "-a name". (without the quotes) you need two extra spaces in front of name, this is to keep the file length the same.:D

This does the trick. You can now backup VMs by their VM name and not their host name.

If any TSM programmers read this, please add another option for “Backup VM” that lets us select to look up VMs by their VM name or by their host name.

Thanks,
Polen

Just an FYI: for this hack to work.

I found that you cannot have spaces in the VM name, which makes sense since host names can't have spaces either.

So if a TSM programmer decides to add this option, you will need to have it work with spaces in the name as well, since spaces are allowed in the VM name by VMware.

-Polen

Just an FYI: for this hack to work.

I found that you cannot have spaces in the VM name, which makes sense since host names can't have spaces either.

So if a TSM programmer decides to add this option, you will need to have it work with spaces in the name as well, since spaces are allowed in the VM name by VMware.

-Polen

please can you indicate me the lines that you have change in dsmc.exe

i cannot find -a ipaddr

we use TSM Client 6.2

thanks

Back