NDMP and N-series

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Does any one know how to log on to the N-series appliance? I think I need to add a file or two to the /etc/tape_config directory, if it exists but I cannot for the life of me find out how I log on to this box and create the files in that directory (or even create the directory). Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi,

/etc is exported via CIFS by default as ETC$, or you can access vol0 (root volume) as C$ / so the path is \\filer\c$\etc
Root volume vol0 is also exported via NFS (use showmount -e filer_IP).
In case CIFS and/or NFS is not licensed, configured, you can enable FTP on the filer (does not require license).
Or you can log in via ssh and use "wrfile /etc/tape_config/file" and then paste the content - end the input by pressing CtrlC (error message is normal).

WARNING: "wrfile" is no editor - once you run "wrfile <filename>" the file is immediately overwritten!!!

For reading the file you can use "rdfile /etc/tape_config/file"
... and several other methods ....

Hope it helps

Harry

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Harry. I have used the wrfile and the rdfile and the info is there. The n-series still reports that no tape drives are present. I suspect a zoning issue and I have no experience with zoning. Besides no one else works weekends.

Hi,

may be a zoning issue, or wrong setting of FCP port (if you use onboard ports of the nSeries) - add-on cards for nSeries filers are of determined type - initiators or targets. The onboard ports, however, have two chips behind them so you can chose which personality do they have.
Use "fcadmin config" to see if you have the port (the tapes are connected to) set up as initiator.

Harry

Today they finally got things fixed for me and all is well. I have asked them what they did (the network admins) to fix the problem but it seems to be a secret and they do not give me any feed back. It would be nice to know so that I could document what was done in case I run into this issue again.

Back