Multiple TSM sharing tape lib....

cwilloug

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just wondering how many people are set up with one tape library and multiple TSM servers sharing the tape library?

How many tape drives do you have? How big and what kind of library are you using?

Management has asked the question, to share our library with an off site university. I have a TS3500, with two cabinets and 8 3592 drives, which I use quite a bit. Thinking maybe if we add one or two more cabinets and 2 to 4 more drives.

Ideas? Input?

Thanks guys.

Just wondering how many people are set up with one tape library and multiple TSM servers sharing the tape library?

How many tape drives do you have? How big and what kind of library are you using?

Management has asked the question, to share our library with an off site university. I have a TS3500, with two cabinets and 8 3592 drives, which I use quite a bit. Thinking maybe if we add one or two more cabinets and 2 to 4 more drives.

Ideas? Input?

Thanks guys.

If you are planning to share your library I suggest separating the tape drives from your environment, and probably adding more cabinets for tape slots depending on projected usage (funding isn't easy to get these days!).

You can start with 4 tape drives (better 5 with the 5th as spare/DBBackup tape drive), and grow from there as needed.

we're using f.e. a TS3500 library, 4 cabinets and 10 drives for 6 tsm servers

In your case you need to know, how many nodes will be backed up. You're using LANFREE? NDMP?

I do have two NAS's that are using NDMP, I've sent an email asking what kind and how many clients the other TSM instance is supporting, but have not heard anything back yet.

Thanks for the link TOXY.

Back