Multiple Filesystem Area Backup

krelvin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.tnet.com
AIX system.

We have a new system that has a database in it that would be just a simple fileysystem backup at a specified time. The problem is, there are 4 of them and each of them have different times they need to be backed up. If I let the regular backup (Incremental) backup these areas, it would back up a lot of junk data so I want to exclude them from the normal filesystem backup.

Structure is something like:

/Machinename/data/db1

/Machinename/data/db2

/Machinename/data/db3

/Machinename/data/db4

I currently have /Machinename/data/.../* in the exclude file which takes care of the normal filesystem backup but now I can't figure out how to just backup each of the individual database areas as filesystem backups since they are still in the exclude file.

Can I specify on the command line a different exclude file? Somehow I don't think that will work.

another option would be to use archive for these instead, but I've not be able to figure out if I can set the retention time on the command line for these.

Suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated...

I have learned that these are part of a package called Redbrick. Apparently there is a SQBacktrack module that supports Redbrick.

On the previous platform (Sequent) these were simply backed up as a regular filesystem backup durning a time when the databases were idle. On that system (Alexadria) each backup has its own include/exclude file list so it is possible to back it up as a filesystem backup.

So far, I've been unable to find a similar solution to this on TSM. We are checking into the SQLBacktrack (BMC) module now.

Back